Retro Retro Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabok

Jan 16, 2019
Hi guys,

Old Retro player here, years have gone by and with kids of my own now and many attempts to find a decent retro but failing to really find one I find myself wondering...

How much would it cost me to create a retro?

Finding developers, graphics artists, experienced retro players (people who have been advocates in the scene throughout the last few years to ultimately run the hotel) and any other expenses I’m not thinking of; Weekly/Monthly/Yearly scale?

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Domain, VPS and some sort of protection?

Minimum spend probably like £20-£25 for something pretty stable (includes all 3) this would be for your first month.
You can get a nice SSD 4GB machine for around £15 per month these days, so it's not that expensive :)

I would recommend this website, your first month is £1.00 for the server.

Jabok

Jan 16, 2019
I've been tossing it up for a while now (few months) but never really took the initiative to look into it further until a day or two ago when I was scouring the net to find the scene again.

I'm not worried about cost(s) but more-so whether it is worth it. I can see there are a ton of Retro's and if I'm being completely honest; a lot of the newer stuff is way over my head. I liked the simple days; betting, good economy, building elegant rooms and just chatting sh*t.

So that's what I'm after again; something simple but not too simple it's over-looked. More-so for the mature guy(s)/girl(s) who are in it for the social aspect.

My main concern(s) I have with the idea as a whole is summed up to a few things;

A) I don't have the most time on my hands but I quite literally have spent a large majority of my years leading Moderation and Development in other games alongside Retro's when I was younger (I could spend a few hours a day, which may not even be during the peak time(s) considering majority of the Retro scene is English)

B) I'm not sure where to start; I have 0 Development skill(s), my skills are within my leadership and knowing how to "run" a player-base efficiently

C) I have no friends within the scene now; finding trust-worthy people is hard to come by and I'm sure a large number of you would already have your hotels.

What are your opinion(s)? Pros and Cons? Where should I look to eliminate those above worries?

I'd be willing to put the cash in and sustain the funding, I'm not one to throw in the towel at the slightest inconvenience or hiccup.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I've been tossing it up for a while now (few months) but never really took the initiative to look into it further until a day or two ago when I was scouring the net to find the scene again.

I'm not worried about cost(s) but more-so whether it is worth it. I can see there are a ton of Retro's and if I'm being completely honest; a lot of the newer stuff is way over my head. I liked the simple days; betting, good economy, building elegant rooms and just chatting sh*t.

So that's what I'm after again; something simple but not too simple it's over-looked. More-so for the mature guy(s)/girl(s) who are in it for the social aspect.

My main concern(s) I have with the idea as a whole is summed up to a few things;

A) I don't have the most time on my hands but I quite literally have spent a large majority of my years leading Moderation and Development in other games alongside Retro's when I was younger (I could spend a few hours a day, which may not even be during the peak time(s) considering majority of the Retro scene is English)

B) I'm not sure where to start; I have 0 Development skill(s), my skills are within my leadership and knowing how to "run" a player-base efficiently

C) I have no friends within the scene now; finding trust-worthy people is hard to come by and I'm sure a large number of you would already have your hotels.

What are your opinion(s)? Pros and Cons? Where should I look to eliminate those above worries?

I'd be willing to put the cash in and sustain the funding, I'm not one to throw in the towel at the slightest inconvenience or hiccup.
If you can only be active a few hours per day and if those hours aren't really in peak English times (such as now - 9:12AM) then I wouldn't bother "leading moderation and development" especially if you've got "0 development skills" new hotel's usually take months to gain a good user base which come back every day.

Most of the good guys I knew have left the scene now so I would be in your boat, not sure who to trust or who to run things for me while I'm away.

My opinion would be give it a try, what have you got to lose? How long have you been gone? What CMS/emulator would you use?

There's next to no good developers here who can actually develop, the rest already own their own hotels.

Good luck and welcome back to the scene :)

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Domain, VPS and some sort of protection?

Minimum spend probably like £20-£25 for something pretty stable (includes all 3) this would be for your first month.
You can get a nice SSD 4GB machine for around £15 per month these days, so it's not that expensive :)

I would recommend this website, your first month is £1.00 for the server.
Damn £15/mo for that server is expensive as hell.

Code:
8vCore Xeon CPU
8GB DDR3 ECC RAM
80GB PCI-E NVMe SSD
10/10Gbps Internet
Unlimited traffic
These specs for the same price as above at (they got an international site as well)
For an additional £6 you get which is 1250GB anti-ddos protection lol

Joe

Jun 10, 2012

Code:
8vCore Xeon CPU
8GB DDR3 ECC RAM
80GB PCI-E NVMe SSD
10/10Gbps Internet
Unlimited traffic
These specs for the same price as above at (they got an international site as well)
I did say roughly. Adding Windows would bump up the cost anyway.
Looks like a good website though, I'd check it out :)

Jabok

Jan 16, 2019
My opinion would be give it a try, what have you got to lose? How long have you been gone? What CMS/emulator would you use?

There's next to no good developers here who can actually develop, the rest already own their own hotels.

I’ve been out of touch for years. I’d say Eubbo comes to mind when I think of the last Retro I was involved in.

Nothing to lose but nothing to gain without the right backing is what really comes to mind. I wouldn’t have the slightest of clues on anything development related (creating and or doing any of that side of things) which is something I don’t truly have the time to delve into efficiently enough to eliminate the need for help so I’d rather just find a dedicated developer to take care of it completely.

I figured everyone who knew anything would be tied up. If anyone has the hook up though definitely throw it out there. I imagine with the right team of people, I’d be on enough to lead the general direction and focus needs.

I think the best attribute I have now is anonomity and am not vulnerable to the usual dilemma of influence that most retro owners fall privy to on start up.

P.S this is almost turning into a request but not quite; maybe more so an expression of interest to fund a project if someone who knew what they were doing wanted it

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I’ve been out of touch for years. I’d say Eubbo comes to mind when I think of the last Retro I was involved in.

Nothing to lose but nothing to gain without the right backing is what really comes to mind. I wouldn’t have the slightest of clues on anything development related (creating and or doing any of that side of things) which is something I don’t truly have the time to delve into efficiently enough to eliminate the need for help so I’d rather just find a dedicated developer to take care of it completely.

I figured everyone who knew anything would be tied up. If anyone has the hook up though definitely throw it out there. I imagine with the right team of people, I’d be on enough to lead the general direction and focus needs.

I think the best attribute I have now is anonomity and am not vulnerable to the usual dilemma of influence that most retro owners fall privy to on start up.

P.S this is almost turning into a request but not quite; maybe more so an expression of interest to fund a project if someone who knew what they were doing wanted it
I'd just say be careful, there's a lot of people out there to fuck you up in this community, even if nobody knows you. It's not hard to setup a hotel, nor do you need to be a developer. I can point you in the right direction.

There's tutorials . Anything else, use the help forum .

Johno

:: xHosts :: www.xhosts.uk
Sep 12, 2011

Code:
8vCore Xeon CPU
8GB DDR3 ECC RAM
80GB PCI-E NVMe SSD
10/10Gbps Internet
Unlimited traffic

Our servers may seem a little "expensive" but we host our servers here in the United kingdom and servers based here are a lot more expensive than other countries. The main thing to consider when buying a server is the location of most of your users as you will want the server local to most of your visitors.

Reactions: Joe

Jabok

Jan 16, 2019
It's not hard to setup a hotel, nor do you need to be a developer.

Hmm, another non-developer with lack of time and knowledge trying to start a hotel? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I might wait, check in every so often and see if any half decent developer(s) return talking about possible projects that I can jump onto or help fund.

Or create an actual request post within the next week or so if I get impatient.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Hmm, another non-developer with lack of time and knowledge trying to start a hotel? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I might wait, check in every so often and see if any half decent developer(s) return talking about possible projects that I can jump onto or help fund.

Or create an actual request post within the next week or so if I get impatient.
Some people have forgotten the term of 'developer' hardly anybody in the community can develop. There's the odd few hotels, the rest use released emulator's and ask for help if they're having any problems. A real developer would be somebody like Sledmore from Habboon. Or the old timers like Kryptos etc who built RevCMS, Tweeney, Nillus etc etc

You don't have to be a developer to run a successful hotel, if you add the latest clothing, furniture and have some nice features/commands people will probably play.

Jabok

Jan 16, 2019
Some people have forgotten the term of 'developer' hardly anybody in the community can develop. There's the odd few hotels, the rest use released emulator's and ask for help if they're having any problems. A real developer would be somebody like Sledmore from Habboon. Or the old timers like Kryptos etc who built RevCMS, Tweeney, Nillus etc etc

You don't have to be a developer to run a successful hotel, if you add the latest clothing, furniture and have some nice features/commands people will probably play.

Yeah, I'm definitely throwing the word developer out loosely now. I guess what I'm ultimately saying is; Two hands are better than one and two people focusing on separate working(s) of a thing is better than one person working on an entire thing (+little knowledge on one half of said thing).

I need a back-end guy. You're right in the latter half of your reply; I PERSONALLY think things have become over-complicated within the Retro scene and a core foundation of keeping things up-to-date and simplified will definitely be a desired attribute and one I again PERSONALLY have lacked to find; as of late.

Where does my best bet lie on finding a "back-end guy"? Do you think I would have much success here with a Request post? I've noticed a lot of them have gone un-answered.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Yeah, I'm definitely throwing the word developer out loosely now. I guess what I'm ultimately saying is; Two hands are better than one and two people focusing on separate working(s) of a thing is better than one person working on an entire thing (+little knowledge on one half of said thing).

I need a back-end guy. You're right in the latter half of your reply; I PERSONALLY think things have become over-complicated within the Retro scene and a core foundation of keeping things up-to-date and simplified will definitely be a desired attribute and one I again PERSONALLY have lacked to find; as of late.

Where does my best bet lie on finding a "back-end guy"? Do you think I would have much success here with a Request post? I've noticed a lot of them have gone un-answered.
It's always worth a try. People don't tend to bother because 9/10 the people setting up hotels have no idea what's going on, end up closing and the budget is usually quite low.

If you're willing to spend some good money on a good server, good protection and keep it running more people will become interested. It's always worth a shot making a thread, you never know.

Jabok

Jan 16, 2019
It's always worth a try. People don't tend to bother because 9/10 the people setting up hotels have no idea what's going on, end up closing and the budget is usually quite low.

If you're willing to spend some good money on a good server, good protection and keep it running more people will become interested. It's always worth a shot making a thread, you never know.

Yeah but teenagers typically think that something good comes over night, hence the early shut downs. I'm aware building a consistent player-base will be month(s) of adequate dedication and action(s) but I'm coming back to my A, B and C dilemma's. Maybe someone will reply to this before I need to go as far as to write a request thread.

In the mean-while; I'll go through the tutorials to at-least have an idea on what the process is.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Yeah but teenagers typically think that something good comes over night, hence the early shut downs. I'm aware building a consistent player-base will be month(s) of adequate dedication and action(s) but I'm coming back to my A, B and C dilemma's. Maybe someone will reply to this before I need to go as far as to write a request thread.

In the mean-while; I'll go through the tutorials to at-least have an idea on what the process is.
If you need help let me know. I can setup hotels.

Jabok

Jan 16, 2019
I don't doubt that I could figure it out if I actually tried but setting it up > maintaining the back-end > learning what I need to in order to be able to keep the hotel to an up-to-date standard; just not within my realm of possibility.

Reactions: Joe

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I don't doubt that I could figure it out if I actually tried but setting it up > maintaining the back-end > learning what I need to in order to be able to keep the hotel to an up-to-date standard; just not within my realm of possibility.
The Australian timezone for retros's sucks too. You'd have to be up all night to see most of the active English users which doesn't help.

Good luck mate.

Owen

Mar 20, 2013

Awh man I loved Eubbo! that was a great community for betting and making friends ngl.

If i was you, I'd just see if any retro is looking for moderators and become apart of a AU mod team. I know a lot of hotels lack australian moderators. We had a case on PeakRP (for cops) where we had a lack of AU cops in the community. Or you could possibly see if anyone wants to start up a retro with you. Find yourself a developer, fund the costs and you could possibly make it happen. But again, it's about trusting someone to do it for you and that's going to be hard.

Jabok

Jan 16, 2019
Or you could possibly see if anyone wants to start up a retro with you. Find yourself a developer, fund the costs and you could possibly make it happen. But again, it's about trusting someone to do it for you and that's going to be hard.

I'm assuming a request thread is likely the most chance I have of finding this "back-end" guy that I'm after? Any other forums that I could look on as well?

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
I'm assuming a request thread is likely the most chance I have of finding this "back-end" guy that I'm after? Any other forums that I could look on as well?
I recommend opening a thread here for a back end guy.

Good look in your search. For this thread I’m going to close it due to comments above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread