Reputation system - valid & uneasy to abuse system

Shatter

Selling Dedicated Servers
Jan 8, 2014
For starters, this is just a simple suggestion. I've gone through and looked at previous reputation / point system suggestion threads and i've noticed that everyone had the same reply.
"It's going to be abused."
"Definitely not a good idea, people are going to use it to troll / spread hatred."

When multiple successful forum sites have this implemented into their forums and it actually ends up working for the better. Users are able to gain a reputation other than post count causing less spam because users aren't randomly posting stupid shit so they can seem like they're super l33t because they have a super high post count. And also this would help with people who would spam anyway and also would increase high-quality posting. If a user posts something low quality, (-)negative rep. the user 1 point. You can view previous reputations from other people given to that specific user aswell and get a better understanding of the users past / history within the forum. Especially when it comes to the different gaming communities and teaming up, hiring staff, or partnering to open a game.

The way you can go about allowing users to be able to give reputation is that normal ranked users can give (+2) or (-2) reputation points. Subscription users can give (+3) or (-3) and in order for you to be able to be a normal user and give reputation... you have to have a 250+ post count and/or 20+ reputation points.

If you have any questions about my suggestion, post below and i'll elaborate a bit more.

Once again. This was just a suggestion... another forum that goes about using this is HF & it works out pretty good for them.

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
I don't want a reputation system added. No one gains anything. Reputation on a forum is just a number.

We also have a point system already.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
No matter how many points, I don't think it proves your true rep any way. It's like judging some kids in pre-school by how many football stickers they own..

.. Yeah I don't get the reference either but whatever. I just think people should be judged (on the forum at least) by the quality of their posts and genuine personality. I visit forums that have no like/point systems and you just get a feel of who the top members are by the content they post.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
It is too late to implement it either way. It is not necessary and nobody gives a crap about reputation. We have Best Answers, likes, join date and post count. We don't need more useless functions.

And if it already has been discussed a fair amount of times, don't suggest it again.

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
Not really a needed addon.
As stated we already have the like system, if you agree or like a persons post, like it, simple enough.
Reputation points are not really needed, members get known by being active/comments they make/regulars in the shoutbox etc... These are the true reputable members

Users who are viewing this thread