Redirect loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
I used the voting API made by Josh, released by Sledmore on the main page for findretros... but some users get a redirect loop?
Although the votes were going up 4 times as fast, I've switched back to my other one now, but is there a solution for this? because my user count dropped from like 30+ to 20+ while using Josh's one.

Domain:

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
The only reason I'd assume there's some redirect loop is because the user's IP address is not the same on FindRetros and your website, for whatever reason, as that's what is used to identify if someone has voted. You could ask those who were affected to visit this ( ) and see if that is their correct IP, and then do the same on your website. Other than that, I can't offer much more help without any other information.

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
Thanks, i'll try that and get back to you.
Was reading the help threads and found something about bt.com ISP causing this issue?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Thanks, i'll try that and get back to you.
Was reading the help threads and found something about bt.com ISP causing this issue?
BT in the past has routed all their customers through a proxy for specific websites, giving them all the same IP, while not doing it for other websites, giving them their normal IP. I haven't seen any issues with other ISP's. One solution is to use HTTPS if they are doing it to your website, but without knowing more information about those affected, it's hard to say if this was the issue, or something completely different.

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
I'm having this issue since I've started to use a proxy... Any fix for this?
There's really no fix, as the IP will be different between findretros.com and your hotel.
The only way to overcome this is to use sessions to force them to vote

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
There's really no fix, as the IP will be different between findretros.com and your hotel.
The only way to overcome this is to use sessions to force them to vote
The proxy will likely set another header you can read their actual IP from.

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
The proxy will likely set another header you can read their actual IP from.
For some visitors, yes.
No matter what I tried, i found that there was always a group of people that got a redirect loop.

I used sessions to stop this;
> Every time they were redirected, the session variable "redirects" was increased by 1.
> If they were redirected over 5 times in 10 seconds, then a "novote" session variable was set, meaning they were no longer being forced to vote.

Queso

echo 'Web Developer';
Nov 29, 2016
I tend to have the same issue with retros that I make as well, I don't even use a proxy, yet I still get the error, maybe it's just my web browser, as others can get on just fine.

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
I've found an issue can occur if your website allows IPv6 addresses whereas FindRetros seems to only use IPv4. You could be having the same issue.

Queso

echo 'Web Developer';
Nov 29, 2016
I've found an issue can occur if your website allows IPv6 addresses whereas FindRetros seems to only use IPv4. You could be having the same issue.
Oh, thanks, that's good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread