Reasons not to use PlusEmulator.

HarmonicRain

NextGenHabbo.com
Jun 27, 2012
Well, This isn't off-topic, or against any rules, so I thought i'd see how this goes down. The Community as a whole seems to be 'stuck' much like ti was when using Phoenix, when Butterfly was out there.

Reasons not to use PlusEmulator:
This is based on multiple experiences with the emulator, and other hotels.

- Doesn't Support Multiple Currency (GOTW Points Swapping)
- SSO Exploits. (If you set your SSO Ticket to multiple blank spaces, and set the IP and Port to another hotel you login to the first few accounts in the database. This has been patched by a fair few, but new hotels still have this.)
- Football Exploit. (Use Plus Emu R2 With no patches, put 100 footballs down, kick it against a football goal, watch as a hotel disconnects.)
- Bot Exploit (Put HTML Font strings in it, watch as it fills an entire room.)
- No IP Check on superban. (Load 10 alts up, superban one, the rest stay online.)
- No Developer Updates, PlusEmu was abandoned by Sledmore. No Official updates are coming. It's done.

Reasons to use Arcturus:
- Still updated. Last Bitbucket addition was 14/04/2018
- Plugin Support. Add features, people complain that PlusEmu is open source, when in reality all they want to do is add themselves to the about command.) - NGH Has battleships, does any hotel with PlusEmu? No. The Plugin Support is all you need.
- Multi-Platform - Linux Support, Mac OS Support, giving you the ability to use a Linux Server to host your retro drives down the cost significantly.
- Multiple Currencies - The Ability to swap out currencies, and have multiple seperate ones at once is amazing. Just add it to a table and poof, you can use it in your catalogue instantly.
- Community support - You can post and have bugfixes updated on the bitbucket
- Officially Tested updates - All updates are tested before the go live, with up to 2 months of testing on some builds before they go live.
- Configurable Options - The Ability to change any feature at will, the emulator_settings and texts tables allow you to customize your hotel at will.
- Exclusive Features - Arcturus has Fastfood, Sticky Poles, Hall of Fame, Offers, and even Super wired (that can be used to add custom currencies to users inventories!) none of which is on PlusEmulator.

Sorry for the rant, i just don't understand why people are using an emulator that has such poor implementations, just because Boon uses it.

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
Pretty accurate thread for the most part.
What's missing for Arcturus that I've not seen is a full tutorial with a full release pack. To get something as the "norm" in this scene it needs to be super simple out of the box and there's tons of that for Plus, same reason why everyone still uses Rev - if it works out the box and they can have a retro in 20 minutes they'll use it. People are lazy.

Someone should do that for Arcturus and I'm sure it'd take off. I just had a quick search and can see one edited Rev for Arcturus on another forum which is pretty poor and I can't find anything for it on Devbest - maybe you or Wesley could do a tutorial and full pack to get people using it!

Side note I feel it's more respectful to state the positives about Arcturus as appose to trying to put down Plus - that's not a very nice way to try and get people using it.
Advertising what's great about Arcturus and all the benefits should be enough to get people using it imo!

HarmonicRain

NextGenHabbo.com
Jun 27, 2012
What's missing for Arcturus that I've not seen is a full tutorial with a full release pack. To get something as the "norm" in this scene it needs to be super simple out of the box and there's tons of that for Plus, same reason why everyone still uses Rev - if it works out the box and they can have a retro in 20 minutes they'll use it. People are lazy.

Someone should do that for Arcturus and I'm sure it'd take off. I just had a quick search and can see one edited Rev for Arcturus on another forum which is pretty poor and I can't find anything for it on Devbest - maybe you or Wesley could do a tutorial and full pack to get people using it!

Side note I feel it's more respectful to state the positives about Arcturus as appose to trying to put down Plus - that's not a very nice way to try and get people using it.
Advertising what's great about Arcturus and all the benefits should be enough to get people using it imo!

I think the problem is, I never needed a tutorial. NGH's CMS is from scratch, I know TheGeneral was working on one, I was working on a catalogue too, but I just couldn't be bothered in the end, as i felt no one would appriciate the time and effort it took :( I used Arcturus before Wesley took an interest in NGH, I built the catalogue on NGH Myself, i had no pack, i had nothing, I just don't understand why people aren't willing to do them same. (Except for those who make RP's, who try and be different like yourself.)

BMX

Apr 16, 2018
The main problem with Plus is that it isn't fit for us by anyone who hasn't got the means to expand on it or hasn't got the knowledge to even use an Emulator because of the work it would require.

Although if you can work on it then Plus is a great emulator.

Logic

Bobby Billionaire
Feb 8, 2012
People are wanting to move away from Plus because they choose not to learn and develop their own stuff for it and/or fix it, thus relying on someone else to do it all for them - such as Arcturus. Not to mention, Arcturus is not constantly updated and has been stated multiple times by The General that he fixes and updates things on his own time, which is weeks to a month at times. That's the problem using a closed source emulator versus using an open source emulator. I have had personal experience with him as well that when there were important fixes that needed to be applied in order to have a semi-decent live production hotel, he blew them off and once again, said they will be done "on the next release." Nobody knows when that "next release" will be therefore you're stuck relying on someone to push updates whenever they feel it's necessary therefore you've got a hotel that has broken stuff because you're waiting on the "next release."

Also, in my opinion, it's personal preference. You can turn Plus Emulator into everything Arcturus has to offer if people stopped being lazy and took time to actually understand what they're working with. I am working with the default Plus R1 that Sledmore released and I'd say it's pretty nice so far and myself along with my partner has a lot more to implement and do to the emulator. But that all goes back to what I said above. If you can hand someone a CMS, Emulator, SWF's, and a VPS, they'd have a hotel up in no time because it takes no knowledge to do so but when it actually comes to knowing how to work with other languages besides HTML & CSS, then it's game over and everyone wants to be spoon fed by an emulator they have no control over and sorry, has no idea whether or not the developer has implemented a backdoor in the event their project was decompiled.

Nobody is going to create an out of the box release or pack because everyone who is moving to Node.Js and other languages you see surfacing recently automatically assume everyone knows how to set up the CMS and if you don't, you're considered a dumb ass. Or, like you said, people release half-assed poorly coded work or they start a project and don't finish it then start another one, and don't finish that one either.

Last edited:

BMX

Apr 16, 2018
People are wanting to move away from Plus because they choose not to learn and develop their own stuff for it and/or fix it, thus relying on someone else to do it all for them - such as Arcturus. Not to mention, Arcturus is not constantly updated and has been stated multiple times by The General that he fixes and updates things on his own time, which is weeks to a month at times. That's the problem using a closed source emulator versus using an open source emulator. I have had personal experience with him as well that when there were important fixes that needed to be applied in order to have a semi-decent live production hotel, he blew them off and once again, said they will be done "on the next release." Nobody knows when that "next release" will be therefore you're stuck relying on someone to push updates whenever they feel it's necessary therefore you've got a hotel that has broken stuff because you're waiting on the "next release."

Also, in my opinion, it's personal preference. You can turn Plus Emulator into everything Arcturus has to offer if people stopped being lazy and took time to actually understand what they're working with. I am working with the default Plus R1 that Sledmore released and I'd say it's pretty nice so far and myself along with my partner has a lot more to implement and do to the emulator. But that all goes back to what I said above. If you can hand someone a CMS, Emulator, SWF's, and a VPS, they'd have a hotel up in no time because it takes no knowledge to do so but when it actually comes to knowing how to work with other languages besides HTML & CSS, then it's game over and everyone wants to be spoon fed by an emulator they have no control over and sorry, has no idea whether or not the developer has implemented a backdoor in the event their project was decompiled.

Nobody is going to create an out of the box release or pack because everyone who is moving to Node.Js and other languages you see surfacing recently automatically assume everyone knows how to set up the CMS and if you don't, you're considered a dumb ass. Or, like you said, people release half-assed poorly coded work or they start a project and don't finish it then start another one, and don't finish that one either.

Exactly the emulator is perfect if you intend to expand on it and work with the code.

Unfortunately people think everything should be done for them thus the move away from Plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarmonicRain

NextGenHabbo.com
Jun 27, 2012
Are we forgetting arcturus was open source until Wesley found someone renamed his work? So he stopped access to his source on the bitbucket (but you know java source is always viewable anyway.) Arcturus is perfect if you build plugins to add custom stuff like wired, and even fix features and push them to the bitbucket, where you'll get credit for fixing them! Look at Beny who fixed football in the last build etc.

Logic

Bobby Billionaire
Feb 8, 2012
Are we forgetting arcturus was open source until Wesley found someone renamed his work? So he stopped access to his source on the bitbucket (but you know java source is always viewable anyway.) Arcturus is perfect if you build plugins to add custom stuff like wired, and even fix features and push them to the bitbucket, where you'll get credit for fixing them! Look at Beny who fixed football in the last build etc.

It seems you created this thread to express your gratitude for Wesley which is nice and all since he's pretty much a main role in NGH, but you've got no other valid point about why people should stop using Plus Emulator that is open source and use something that is closed source. Don't get me wrong, Arcturus is nice for what it is and how far its come, but this thread isn't necessary.

BMX

Apr 16, 2018

You can do all that with Plus if you aren’t stingy enough to actually work with it, it’s been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
Also, in my opinion, it's personal preference. You can turn Plus Emulator into everything Arcturus has to offer if people stopped being lazy and took time to actually understand what they're working with.
This pretty much. @HarmonicRain all your "negatives" as to why someone shouldn't use Plus can pretty easily be fixed and/or added in like an hour if the developer knows what they're doing. Also, you state "just because boon uses it" - a hotel that reaches 1k online proves stability so from someone coming into the scene it would be an obvious choice. Are there any examples of a hotel using Arcturus that has even reached 100 online?

As I said if you want to boost the use of Arcturus it needs tutorials, perhaps some of these plugins that are so groundbreaking could be released, a CMS that works out of the box and a good example of a hotel using it that has a lot of users online. Trying to slag off and bring down Plus won't help Arcturus become popular, it just makes you look like a bit of a dick!

Bran

mediocre graphics artist
Mar 13, 2017
john, as much as i like you and support NGH i don't get your passion in trashing Plus Emu because you don't use it? while boon get over 500+ online but i don't see any arcturus hotel getting that.. we get you have opinions that arcturus is better but instead of trashing another emu to bring another one up really isn't the way to go

HarmonicRain

NextGenHabbo.com
Jun 27, 2012
john, as much as i like you and support NGH i don't get your passion in trashing Plus Emu because you don't use it? while boon get over 500+ online but i don't see any arcturus hotel getting that.. we get you have opinions that arcturus is better but instead of trashing another emu to bring another one up really isn't the way to go

Dude, there's hotels abroad using Phoenix Emulator with 1k online, does that mean it's better than Plus? Ofc not. Your argument is invalid. (FYI this is true, check the french hotels.) xD

This pretty much. @HarmonicRain all your "negatives" as to why someone shouldn't use Plus can pretty easily be fixed and/or added in like an hour if the developer knows what they're doing. Also, you state "just because boon uses it" - a hotel that reaches 1k online proves stability so from someone coming into the scene it would be an obvious choice. Are there any examples of a hotel using Arcturus that has even reached 100 online?

As I said if you want to boost the use of Arcturus it needs tutorials, perhaps some of these plugins that are so groundbreaking could be released, a CMS that works out of the box and a good example of a hotel using it that has a lot of users online. Trying to slag off and bring down Plus won't help Arcturus become popular, it just makes you look like a bit of a dick!

Release all your work on PeakRP, including the whole emulator if you want me to release the plugins? People spent hard work on the plugins on NGH, asking me to release them is moronic. Just so all hotels can be the same as the phoenix days, all running one emulator, and running one cms again?

My point is, is there publically avalable exploits in arcturus to hack staff. No. Is there in PlusEmu? Yes. Did the developer ever actually release a fix on the website? No he posted it on this forum as something you can add in yourself, as it's abandonware. Hence new hotels are still appearing, which have a 3 year old exploit in it...

HarmonicRain

NextGenHabbo.com
Jun 27, 2012
Close Thread. If Anyone wants help porting from Plus to Arcturus hit me up with a PM. Always glad to help people who want it.

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
My point is, is there publically avalable exploits in arcturus to hack staff. No. Is there in PlusEmu? Yes. Did the developer ever actually release a fix on the website? No he posted it on this forum as something you can add in yourself, as it's abandonware. Hence new hotels are still appearing, which have a 3 year old exploit in it...
I get the point you're making about Arcturus, in terms of a piece of development it's obviously the best choice for anyone starting out right now but this thread seems more of a promotion for NGH and a PlusEmu bash instead of trying to get the positives of Arcturus through. The most important part about Arcturus is the active development yet you've squished it between a load of old Plus exploits and an advertisement for NGH's battleships.

Bran

mediocre graphics artist
Mar 13, 2017
I get the point you're making about Arcturus, in terms of a piece of development it's obviously the best choice for anyone starting out right now but this thread seems more of a promotion for NGH and a PlusEmu bash instead of trying to get the positives of Arcturus through. The most important part about Arcturus is the active development yet you've squished it between a load of old Plus exploits and an advertisement for NGH's battleships.
A FUCKING MEN!!!:up:

JynX

Posting Freak
Feb 6, 2016
Actually, that's been fixed in the more recent Plus development that Sledmore did a little while back.

I mean, sure, Arcturus isn't bad and it's actively developed which is great for all the kids that can't fix things and would rather someone do it for them. The same thing happens with Plus in the fact people want to just be spoon fed something instead of being pointed in the right direction, learning, and doing it themselves. I guess I can see pros and cons for both sides, but they're two different languages. If someone doesn't like C# and they like Java they'll use Arcturus.. If someone doesn't like Java and they like C# they'll use Plus. As for exploits, I mean sure it'd be nice if they were fixed out of the box or such, but Craig has better things to be doing than spoon feed people code that they'll end up just renaming, copying and pasting, etc.

TLDR; Don't hate on Plus due to the fact that people can't fix things themselves and would rather be spoon fed.

AlexVolc

Apr 20, 2018
This really makes me laugh for a couple of reasons, everything listed here is patchable, just because a few things have not been given appropriate attention yet does not mean someone isn't going to eventually. The football problem is easily fixed as stated with patches or even simpler just sticking a cap on how many footballs can be in one room at a time and bam, impossible to reach a game-breaking number. I'm aware the football game doesn't even function perfectly in PlusEmu yet but I'm sure it will eventually because it is opensource and people are constantly working on fixing the issues. The bot thing, if you rewrite the text area to have a limited character range bam, cant put HTML tags no more issues there. Sadly the last one here is the only true one. So no, I don't plan on moving to Arc any time soon because I for one will not support shutting out the developer.

Users who are viewing this thread