React vs. Vue?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Looking for some opinions on which framework to choose.

For context, we're rewriting our software from the ground up at work, and we're looking to move away from Angular 1 to either React or Vue. We initially moved to Angular 1 in about July of last year, based on the decision of one developer (who is no longer with us); before that we were using jQuery. I'm currently the only one at work who has experience with Angular 1 (and JavaScript frameworks in general). Currently most are for React, but mainly due to its name, and that it's backed by Facebook. Although I don't think either will have trouble in terms of backing, or longevity.

Things to consider:
- The main product will be an SPA.
- I'd love to be able to easily use our web based SPA, and use it in a mobile app (e.g. React Native, Weex, etc).
- Standalone widgets that will be placed on third party sites (not sure if this is an issue with React, definitely not with Vue).
- TypeScript seems interesting; do you use it, and why?
- We are a small team (three developers).
- Anything else I should consider?

Personal opinions:
- I like the idea of .vue components.
- JSX seems kind of gross to me, although haven't ever used it.
- React currently has a stronger hold on the U.S. market, which might make it more advantageous from a personal career perspective. Although Vue doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

I'd be interested to hear from those who have quite a bit of experience in either framework (or ideally both). I don't think there's really a wrong choice here. But since neither I, or anyone on my team has real world experience with either or, it'd be very beneficial to hear from someone who does.

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
IMO it depends on what you're making, and what you're familiar with.
As for TypeScript, it's nice but I wouldn't use it unless you and everyone else that's going to be developing is already familiar with it, otherwise you'll have the delay of them learning it
Since you've already fiddled with Vue, you have a step in that door, unlike with React.
Like you said, there is no wrong choice, except for maybe asking people on here lol

I suggest you try both for a while, see which you prefer, and go with that.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Currently I mean React is super fucking great and has the best ecosystem of them all, but there's a lot of cons as well as pros.
I'm only gonna talk about Vue, because I don't really know much about it.

These are some of the cons:
  • Can take a long time to actually fully learn all the capabilities of React and therefore it's not that useful until you've researched/learned enough
  • High learning curve and hard to master
  • Takes longer to setup a project, especially when you have to setup all the essential bundling, tools, state management, etc.
Some pros:
  • Due to the big ecosystem of React, there's also a lot of boilerplate and precoded scripts.
  • State management is epic due to Redux (redux-saga, redux-observables much like RxJS)
  • Once you've setup all the necessary tools development becomes quicker and easier.
  • HMR: Hot reload all the scripts so you don't have to refresh the page before showing what's edited, aswell as state management gets updated
  • If you've not chosen a database yet, or is thinking about switching I would recommend with
  • As you mentioned it plays well with React-Native
  • TypeScript isn't really necessary for React, as you could go with instead
  • JSX: I like the idea of having mixed HTML with JavaScript in a native way.

But anyway, taking all things considered React is the superior in my opinion.
As @TesoMayn mentioned it's really a matter of preference, it should be taking into consideration as Vue and React is far different from one another.

I might add some stuff into this later on, just gonna post it for now.

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
I've never used React, but I've been using Vue for a few months (I had this exact discussion with myself those few months ago) and it's been a delight to work with. It's extremely easy to use once you've learned the basics and extending it and adding functionality is super easy. Everything I've written in Vue is just so clean and simple. I can share some of the work with you if you're interested to see how it looks.

Typescript seems nice, and I believe Vue has support for it. I may try it at some point, but I'm quite enjoying the simplicity of Vue and non-verbose vanilla Javascript syntax at the moment. It's a nice change from C# once in a while. :D

Vue also seems to share the pros (state management - Vuex, which is officially supported, hot reloading - very nice for development) from other posts in this thread, so it looks like both are perfectly valid options. Vue is obviously much newer and has less "support" right now, but the speed at which its grown and its standing against React right now says a lot.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Vue. Not as involved, "cleaner" (I like the idea of single file components), plus state management is in-built (with Vuex). However I'm not sure if weex (vue's native app dev platform) is as powerful as react native

I've used both professionally and personally I prefer Vue

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Alright so the technical differences can almost be neglected between Vue and React, especially when looking at speed. I don't think I can add much more than the above looking at the technical aspect, and I also think it comes down to preference.

However we've also been looking in to multiple frameworks at work, and we'll be going for React. The following are my personal views. I think Vue is great for your own projects, it's like Bootstrap. Quick and easy. The starbucks drinker under the frameworks. As for React, it has a more professional outlook and a much better ecosystem. As you want to use this for work, I'd 100% go for React. It might be much harder to master, but I'm sure there's a much higher payoff in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread