[Question] Dumbest thing/mistake you've done whilst coding

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
Hmm I guess I would have to say my biggest mistake was making a script that can delete its self after its complete. Well I never backed it up and executed it seeing if it worked, well it did! All that time and effort gone ;-; I don't think scripts should ever delete them selfs anymore...

My every day mistakes our
  1. waiting hours of writing code to test it.
  2. putting spaces where they don't exist.
  3. miss spelling words.
  4. remembering each languages variable assignment, var, $, let mut, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lotus

Legacy, it's all anyone leaves behind.
Jun 8, 2012
Forgetting to save and shutting my pc off then rebuilding wondering why I have an error.

JynX

Posting Freak
Feb 6, 2016
Using find and replace in all files in my wwwroot for http:// to https:// which then edited all my images fucking my website up.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Alright so this isn't really coding, and falls more into the category of SysOps, but it's a nice share. So somehow I today managed to fuck up an entire server. I deleted a certain package that also deleted some /sbin files, such as init. I wasn't even able to use the shutdown command. Filesystem also got slightly corrupted. Thanks to the help of @Ecko I was able to get everything running again without losing data. Spend around 2 hours in a cold as fuck server room fixing everything.

Can't wait for this day to be over.

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
Alright so this isn't really coding, and falls more into the category of SysOps, but it's a nice share. So somehow I today managed to fuck up an entire server. I deleted a certain package that also deleted some /sbin files, such as init. I wasn't even able to use the shutdown command. Filesystem also got slightly corrupted. Thanks to the help of @Ecko I was able to get everything running again without losing data. Spend around 2 hours in a cold as fuck server room fixing everything.

Can't wait for this day to be over.
So proud of you <3

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Debugging my code in an eternity, only to realize I missed a semicolon.
That's why I love JS so much haha.

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Okay, I just realized I made this mistake..
I spent 5 months taking Plus EMU and converting it into a RP for Flux RP 2.0, We were getting ready to start the project back up after 3 months of break, and come to find out I only made 1 copy and it doesn't have the source... When I uploaded the emu to the vps I always removed the source, well that has now backfired and I will have to redo 5 months worth of work (y)

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
Had to say this over here. Few days ago I had to run a query to update a certain set of rows for a specific item, however I forgot to add "and thing_id = idhere", almost updating all rows instead on the production database. I was saved by MySQL Workbench safe queries.

Fix this by having a dev site + dev db setup and using migrations

Users who are viewing this thread