Project Ideas

patriarch

Jan 23, 2022
Hey guys,
Pretty much my engineering academic years are mostly complete meaning I am coming near to my internship/training days (senior). I have an empty resume when it comes to projects because I've always thought my previous works are simply naive (as in complexity) which in my opinion results in the venture being unappealing.

I come here to request a better understanding of how people are interviewed for software engineering positions (1), what makes a side project really appealing to the employer (2) and possibly what may be some good ideas to get behind that may be relatively challenging for myself (3).

Thank you for any responses :)

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Depends on the role you are trying to achieve. Are you going into front-end or back-end development?

Just to help people in both categories -

Front-End:
  • Looking for experience with HTML5/CSS3, JavaScript, JSON, AJAX, etc.
  • Looking for experience with databases (MySQL, SQL Server, etc.)
  • Looking for people who have experience with rest API's
  • React, Angular, TypeScript are usually plusses (usually this involves node)
  • Tools will include git, vs code, npm

Back-End:
  • Using API's (rest API's primarily)
  • Using Databases (Understanding SQL)
  • Understanding a single language very well (Focus: Java, C#, Rust, Go, or yes... PHP)
  • Source Control: git or azure

This is a great list to build a portfolio from and it covers both front-end and back-end:

Also, depending on the company and position you will likely have some sort of "testing" to perform. Usually these involve easy-medium algorithm questions. Leet code is a great place to practice data structures :)

Last edited:

patriarch

Jan 23, 2022
Depends on the role you are trying to achieve. Are you going into front-end or back-end development?

Just to help people in both categories -

Front-End:
  • Looking for experience with HTML5/CSS3, JavaScript, JSON, AJAX, etc.
  • Looking for experience with databases (MySQL, SQL Server, etc.)
  • Looking for people who have experience with rest API's
  • React, Angular, TypeScript are usually plusses (usually this involves node)
  • Tools will include git, vs code, npm

Back-End:
  • Using API's (rest API's primarily)
  • Using Databases (Understanding SQL)
  • Understanding a single language very well (Focus: Java, C#, Rust, Go, or yes... PHP)
  • Source Control: git or azure

This is a great list to build a portfolio from and it covers both front-end and back-end:

Also, depending on the company and position you will likely have some sort of "testing" to perform. Usually these involve easy-medium algorithm questions. Leet code is a great place to practice data structures :)
Thank you for your detailed response, and for your question regarding whether back-end or front-end, I have learnings in both (from training and self-teaching):
  • HTML5, CSS3, Raw JavaScript, JSON
  • Relational databases such as PostgreS and MySql
  • Vue3, React
  • NodeJS, C/C++
However, I would like to emphasize that I enjoy logistics/architecture a lot so back-end is more of my forte. I would say my biggest issue currently is knowing whether any of my previously completed side projects or future ones are worthy, since I do fear the job market quite a bit.

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Thank you for your detailed response, and for your question regarding whether back-end or front-end, I have learnings in both (from training and self-teaching):
  • HTML5, CSS3, Raw JavaScript, JSON
  • Relational databases such as PostgreS and MySql
  • Vue3, React
  • NodeJS, C/C++
However, I would like to emphasize that I enjoy logistics/architecture a lot so back-end is more of my forte. I would say my biggest issue currently is knowing whether any of my previously completed side projects or future ones are worthy, since I do fear the job market quite a bit.
Create a portfolio containing as many projects as you can, and showcase the ones that are the best. Try to show different topics in your showcases (I.E Architecture)

Users who are viewing this thread