Programming Language.

LucasDay

Nov 23, 2016
Hello Devbest. What programming language do you reccomend that I learn first ?
I have heard many times that Python is a good language to start with, however
if I start with C# or C++ It will be easier as I will be diving into the deep end.
But what do you personally think I should learn first ?
-L

LucasDay

Nov 23, 2016
Open a stable and expandable company and dedicate my life to it.
So uhm, I guess to get a stable job and be able to develop software
and understand and code hardware.
@Genaga
-L

Genaga

Mar 12, 2015
Open a stable and expandable company and dedicate my life to it.
So uhm, I guess to get a stable job and be able to develop software
and understand and code hardware.
@Genaga
-L
What kind of software? Web development or just software?

I'd recommend C#,

You can use it for Web dev (ASP .NET), software on its own, and even hardware with IoT.

Get a good course on udemy, or youtube some shit, learn the fundamentals first, variables, arrays, OOP etc.

Then in my opinion, pick a project and code it, break it down in parts and work on it

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Python is a great language. As are C++ and C#. I'd recommend Python because it's very simple and powerful. You can pick up a lot using Python - from web development (I'm writing the backend for my app using Django) to machine learning, it's a great platform/language.

If you're not doing any low-level development (graphics, embedded systems, ultra-high performance), I'd go with C# next.

As a point of reference: Instagram use Python, so don't be worried about scalability.
If you need any help with Python, please don't hesitate to post a thread.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
C is the basics of most languages and will help you ( a lot ) learning in the future. Whether it's learning something low-level (though not so much anymore) like C++ or a higher level language as C# it definitely comes in handy. Any knowledge in C will also be applicable in Java and will easily help score you an IT job anywhere if competent enough.

Python is basic but powerful, however the weirdness behind its syntax throws me off .

If you want to start off with a "safe" language that's also definitely future-prepared go with Rust,

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Python is a great language. As are C++ and C#. I'd recommend Python because it's very simple and powerful. You can pick up a lot using Python - from web development (I'm writing the backend for my app using Django) to machine learning, it's a great platform/language.

If you're not doing any low-level development (graphics, embedded systems, ultra-high performance), I'd go with C# next.

As a point of reference: Instagram use Python, so don't be worried about scalability.
If you need any help with Python, please don't hesitate to post a thread.
I tried out Django, prefered flask over it because i felt flask was more skeleton like and simple.

+1 Would recommend Python. Powerfull, simple and Cross-Platform. And can do just about anything, *with the right modules.

Jaden

not so active
Aug 24, 2014
Python if you're a geek faggot with photochromic lenses on your glasses.

Java if you're lazy

C# if you're 12

C if you're stuck in the 80s

C++ if you're back to the future

Node.js if you like it when your eyes twitch

Perl if you don't wanna get married

PHP if you like wasting your time

Programming in general if you want chronic stress and gray hairs by mid-20s

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
Python if you're a geek faggot with photochromic lenses on your glasses.

Java if you're lazy

C# if you're 12

C if you're stuck in the 80s

C++ if you're back to the future

Node.js if you like it when your eyes twitch

Perl if you don't wanna get married

PHP if you like wasting your time

Programming in general if you want chronic stress and gray hairs by mid-20s
8 languages you named with only 1-2 you *may* know competently.

Jaden

not so active
Aug 24, 2014
I said competently and I was being generous when I said 1-2
And again, I know all of them competently except Perl as I chose not to learn it for now. Just to clarify, who are you to tell me what I know about languages you've never seen me write?

It seems to me, that you attempt to belittle my programming abilities because you know little (languages) yourself. Not stating that as a fact... just what it seems. Why? Because the only languages that I could assume you know are Perl, and Bash scripting if you would count that. Would you look at that... 1-2. Peculiar, no?

Maybe you being "generous" (ignorant), came off as a little pretentious and assertive.

Serious answer now.

If you're 100% dedicated to Computer Science like I am. If I had a do over I'd learn how a processor and other computer hardware components work (and how they work together) first, then learn Assembly, then learn C, and then work my way up to the higher level languages.

If you can discipline yourself to learn all of that, it'll make you a better programmer in the long run. You'll know better methods, you'll make better methods because you know how your code would translate to Assembly, and the better practices of that language. Not only will it increase performance of your applications due to your vast knowledge of computer hardware, it'll automatically make you a pro at reverse engineering software as well. And more...

If you learn a higher level language first, you're most likely going to quit and stick to that language if you try to go down a few notches too many because you'll get bored easier.

It would (by title) make you automatically a:
  • System vulnerability analyst
  • Embedded systems engineer
  • Software engineer
  • Software IT
  • Computer Scientist

many more I can list to get my point across but I'm starting to forget the names.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
And again, I know all of them competently except Perl as I chose not to learn it for now. Just to clarify, who are you to tell me what I know about languages you've never seen me write?

It seems to me, that you attempt to belittle my programming abilities because you know little (languages) yourself. Not stating that as a fact... just what it seems. Why? Because the only languages that I could assume you know are Perl, and Bash scripting if you would count that. Would you look at that... 1-2. Peculiar, no?

Maybe you being "generous" (ignorant), came off as a little pretentious and assertive.
you're right, it was definitely someone else i've seen beg @Adil for help with Java, make ridiculous statements about programming fundamentals, and consistently have other people's code in their "development" projects without any sourcing. how silly of me to mistake you for that. i sincerely apologize. if only i was as knowledgeable as you!

Jaden

not so active
Aug 24, 2014
you're right, it was definitely someone else i've seen beg @Adil for help with Java, make ridiculous statements about programming fundamentals, and consistently have other people's code in their "development" projects without any sourcing. how silly of me to mistake you for that. i sincerely apologize. if only i was as knowledgeable as you!
Pretentious old men, getting jealous on an online forum. How sad.

I haven't spoken to Adil in centuries, but when I did ask him for his opinion on my projects it wasn't because I was new to Java... it was because different people have different perspectives on things which can lead to different / better ideas. I know you call yourself old but I'm sure they had a career management class when you were in High School.

Here's some begging for you, this was actually rare (me asking him to help me on something rather than asking for his opinion):
[7/9/2016 6:15:56 PM] Jebediah: I gons need u
[7/9/2016 6:15:59 PM] Jebediah: to
[7/9/2016 6:16:16 PM] Jebediah: help me out with this heightmap parsing
[7/9/2016 7:46:58 PM] Jebediah: nvm
[7/9/2016 7:46:59 PM] Jebediah: also
[7/9/2016 7:47:11 PM] Jebediah: should I remove PlayerBean and just use Player.java

I like how someone as mature as yourself would take conversations like these and call it begging, you've lost all respect from me from this point on.

And you're referring to MoonPHP? Which was never open source so you wouldn't be able to verify whether your claim was true or not (not). Also, the base class in which was used as a foundation in MoonPHP was from a public tutorial on the internet... still I'm not sure if they author's intentions were for people to use his code (sarcasm).

Disregarding that time, you won't find any of my "development" threads that neglect to list the libraries used or give credits for source code (this is rare given that I rarely see anything good enough in this section to be in my source).

You're really sad @eckostylez, at least you could state facts next time instead of sarcastic personal assertions. The fact that you never assess anyone's knowledge yet attempt to belittle them makes you look like you don't know what you're talking about in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread