Possibilities?

JSEB

Newb
Apr 2, 2020
So like I've said I am fairly new to all this but I am starting to lean towards Web Development. This coming December/January I will be getting my Associates in Computer Information Technology, which I will be pursuing my Bachelors as well. But, I am just curious to what I could possibly land career wise with the Associates along with the A+ certification and the freeCodeCamp certifications they offer. Is it unrealistic to expect a job in the IT world with this amount of experience or what? I'm not expecting anything seriously high up there just to get my foot in the door.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Certifications and degrees are cool, but really matters is the value that you can provide to the company (especially when it comes to programming, e.g. web development). What have you built? What are you building now? What have you learned? Can you explain the decisions that you've made? There's also a plethora of knowledge online when it comes to programming, and learning how to figure things out on your own is an important skill to have. I've interviewed a decent amount of people, and rarely do I look at someone's certifications/degrees (or give it much weight).

JSEB

Newb
Apr 2, 2020
Certifications and degrees are cool, but really matters is the value that you can provide to the company (especially when it comes to programming, e.g. web development). What have you built? What are you building now? What have you learned? Can you explain the decisions that you've made? There's also a plethora of knowledge online when it comes to programming, and learning how to figure things out on your own is an important skill to have. I've interviewed a decent amount of people, and rarely do I look at someone's certifications/degrees (or give it much weight).
I definitely agree that experience is better than paper, but I feel most companies won't give my resume a second look without some sort of degree/certifications. I'm mainly just asking what can I expect with what I'm going to have. Entry level IT Helpdesk or something higher? Not expecting to become a project lead or something

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I definitely agree that experience is better than paper, but I feel most companies won't give my resume a second look without some sort of degree/certifications. I'm mainly just asking what can I expect with what I'm going to have. Entry level IT Helpdesk or something higher? Not expecting to become a project lead or something
What do you want to do is the better question. Do you you want to be doing support? Do you want to building things? Try and figure out what you want to do (ideally it's something you enjoy), and figure out what's needed to get your foot in the door. For large corporate companies, sure what you have on paper might matter more. But there's many businesses out there (large and small), where you'll be doing similar things, and can be a great opportunity to get your foot in the door.

JSEB

Newb
Apr 2, 2020
What do you want to do is the better question. Do you you want to be doing support? Do you want to building things? Try and figure out what you want to do (ideally it's something you enjoy), and figure out what's needed to get your foot in the door. For large corporate companies, sure what you have on paper might matter more. But there's many businesses out there (large and small), where you'll be doing similar things, and can be a great opportunity to get your foot in the door.
great advice, I guess now early in my career would be a good idea to test around and figure out what I like more. Problem solving is something I enjoy, but I also want to dabble around. Appreciate the response ❤

Users who are viewing this thread