Picking a country to study in/move to

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
I'm getting pretty tired of Denmark, and I've had the thought about moving to a different country many times.
If I only were to study in a different country, I would still get paid the SU we get here which is approximately $1K/mo, but yet again I've thought about moving permantly which would require me applying for a full time job.

So, if you were to recommend a country, explain why it would be a decent choice to move there, also have in mind the job market for developers and education choices.

Mikee

Jul 8, 2017
Canada
Toronto, Ontario.

The political climate is similar to Denmark. A lot of opportunities and places to choose from in terms of where to study. Also I'd assume that it's more exciting and lively than denmark but still isn't too wild so you wouldn't feel out of place. It is also very multicultural so you'll never feel out of place or have trouble in terms of meeting new people.

In terms of schooling, there are schools here that are world renown (if that's what you want), such as University of Toronto, University of Waterloo, and more.
The cost of education here isn't as bizzare as it is in the united states.
Health care system is great (again relative to the US).

Also, if you decide to reside here permanently after you finish school it's a great choice.

Beware though I'm clearly bias.

broges

Welcome To The Machine
Mar 6, 2014
Canada
Toronto, Ontario.

The political climate is similar to Denmark. A lot of opportunities and places to choose from in terms of where to study. Also I'd assume that it's more exciting and lively than denmark but still isn't too wild so you wouldn't feel out of place. It is also very multicultural so you'll never feel out of place or have trouble in terms of meeting new people.

In terms of schooling, there are schools here that are world renown (if that's what you want), such as University of Toronto, University of Waterloo, and more.
The cost of education here isn't as bizzare as it is in the united states.
Health care system is great (again relative to the US).

Also, if you decide to reside here permanently after you finish school it's a great choice.

Beware though I'm clearly bias.
Downside to Canada is, all the damn homeless people :(

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
The Netherlands, for sure. Inside our company we have loads of people who migrated to our country due to all the opportunities. There's lots of work here, especially in IT. Food and stuff is reasonable, healthcare and all that stuff too. And also, it isn't too big and also not too far away from your home country.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
If you were going to move somewhere in Canada, don't pick Ontario. Very expensive to visit and even live, although it's an amazing place. Personally, just because a school is `known` throughout the world, doesn't mean it's going to be a good school for you. Ontario and BC have higher tuition fees than the rest of Canada, but it's still not as crazy as the USA as Mike said. But, if you want the best bang for your buck in Canada, one of the following would do you:
  • Nova Scotia (Dalhousie University, ST FX University)
  • PEI (University of Prince Edward Island, cost of living here is cheap as hell, get a 2 bedroom apt for around 5-600$/month depending on factors such as location, modern?, etc)
  • New Brunswick (UNB or Mount Allison University, downside is NB is also a french speaking province, not fully)
Those are my 3 choices for Canada. I mean if you're on your `high horse` and want to go to a known University, then pick somewhere in Ontario, but if you want a cheaper alternative and the exact same piece of paper at the end of your studies, pick one of the above 3 provinces. Even the above 3 provinces have some of the top Universities in Canada, Dalhousie being one of them. The above 3 are pretty cheap to live compared to other big provinces, you'd save yourself $800-$1000+ in rent each month.

Kristo

Website & Software Developer
Feb 5, 2015
Honestly. The work I am moving into (Website Development and Photography) allows me to really pick many destinations. I am stuck between so many different locations for so many different reasons.

- Australia (Sydney)
- United States (LA or NY)
- Switzerland (Zürich)

I don't want to see myself stuck in the UK so it would be nice to get out and move to a different country. The time being I will just do a lot of travelling.

Users who are viewing this thread