OSX Deployments

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Before we begin, let us saunter gently down the road of context

I'm developing an application for a small club (I've got the main bulk of it done) and my current deployment method is as follows:
  • Work on features at home
  • Copy and paste on site
  • Test during quiet period
  • Go live
(Yes, it's a terrible way of doing things)

My question is: how should I make this less wishy washy and more concrete and robust? Are there any tools that I could look into? (I've looked into a few things but haven't really found anything fantastic yet)

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Look into an actual development life cycle such as agile or waterfall (there are others too) and start with that. Find out who your stakeholders (everyone involved) are, and what the expected outcome is supposed to look, feel and behave like. Once that is decided you should then plan what languages you want it coded in , and how you're going to host it. Your own hardware? The cloud?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
You're missing quite a bit of context here:
  1. What sort of application is it?
  2. What does OSX have to do with it?
  3. What do you mean by "copy and paste on site"?
  4. What's a quiet period? and where exactly are you testing it?

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Look into an actual development life cycle such as agile or waterfall (there are others too) and start with that. Find out who your stakeholders (everyone involved) are, and what the expected outcome is supposed to look, feel and behave like. Once that is decided you should then plan what languages you want it coded in , and how you're going to host it. Your own hardware? The cloud?
I'm trying to adhere to an agile style of development, I've already coded the main application and I'm hosting on an on-premises iMac

You're missing quite a bit of context here:
  1. What sort of application is it?
  2. What does OSX have to do with it?
  3. What do you mean by "copy and paste on site"?
  4. What's a quiet period? and where exactly are you testing it?
1. It's a webapp accessed via 8 iPad's (on site)
2. It's being hosted off an iMac
3. Taking code from my desktop and copying it over to the server :lol:
4. A quiet period is a period of low activity (as it's a club, there's certain times of the day members sign in and use the system). Testing it at home and on-site

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
If you make use of Git there are multiple great tools and services out there that can automate your deployment process. Laravel Envoyer is a great service. I'd recommend having an actual server hosted somewhere else and not on an iMac. Using Git and something like Envoyer enables you to develop and deploy from any place you want.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
If you make use of Git there are multiple great tools and services out there that can automate your deployment process. Laravel Envoyer is a great service. I'd recommend having an actual server hosted somewhere else and not on an iMac. Using Git and something like Envoyer enables you to develop and deploy from any place you want.
I have looked into using something like AWS for this but that would be a future 'TODO' item (the current setup works well). I'm gonna have a look at using Git though (I was supposed to but I never got round to it... doh), thanks everyone (and ecko)!

Users who are viewing this thread