NightWorks.io - Website Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Pretty sure ecko's point is that the file is large, and any website with a decent amount of traffic would have a very high bandwidth.

I know what his point is, just saying a high amount of traffic isn't case.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013

Why do people do this? I've never understood the reasoning behind using a giant image/gif/video. I mean, it creates a large index page size and it being hosted on the same server means it can be maliciously requested repeatedly to eat up your bandwidth:
Code:
└──╼ curl -sI https://nightworks.io/beta/assets/images/header-bg.mp4 | grep Content-Length | awk '{size=$2 / 1024 / 1024; print size "MB"}'
13.6997MB
It would take me a couple of minutes to write up a simple for loop that will request that file from 20-30 different locations. Running that for a few minutes would eat up like 5GB of quite quickly.
That's a nice catch, so what would be the solution? host the mp4 somewhere else publicly?
I myself use a gif as a header and was thinking of using a custom cropped mp4

Yeah such animations are still planned. I'll add it to the todo list tomorrow.

It's like 3 sections. Even though bootstrap is being used, it has no actual elements of bootstrap (besides the nav mobile icon which is still to be changed).

Did some small updates today:
- Removed the line between the section title and subtitle.
- Finished some kind of spacer.
- Changed the boxes with information around. Mostly changes in the colors, but it makes a huge difference.
- Started working on the "team" part of the site. Still WIP tho. Any ideas would be cool.
17fc9574bd4a4f76a35c4f4c43810899.png

b2bdb4f13dec40b898cd62a11bbe91df.png

I like that touch you did with the grey background and white content boxes.
And everything else is shaping up nicely aswell, it's apparent you have an eye for design because i would of never thought about doing what you did up there ^^ cheers

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
That's a nice catch, so what would be the solution? host the mp4 somewhere else publicly?
I myself use a gif as a header and was thinking of using a custom cropped mp4

17fc9574bd4a4f76a35c4f4c43810899.png

b2bdb4f13dec40b898cd62a11bbe91df.png

I like that touch you did with the grey background and white content boxes.
And everything else is shaping up nicely aswell, it's apparent you have an eye for design because i would of never thought about doing what you did up there ^^ cheers
Thanks man! And yes, a solution would be to either use a CDN where you can upload your files, or something like vimeo.

Jayseanp

Soooo Bored!
Oct 26, 2013
Hey,

Curious about if your actually up for hire for a task? Noticed you do web-design & front end development.

JynX

Posting Freak
Feb 6, 2016
I really like the design so far but when you scroll and see the white from the navigator overlap the white text it kind of bugs me (OCD sorry). Good luck with this and I quite like the name NightWorks it's catchy and rolls off the tongue nicely.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
For those who are interested, the site is finished. Just letting some people check it out and correct spelling mistakes before I move it from the beta directory over to the main directory. Love to hear your feedback!

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Looks good, the website seems cluttered but nevertheless good job

j0ker

$client = socket_accept($sock);
Dec 29, 2010
I like it, not bad at all, similar to a few other sites I've seen recently but nice.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Not longer in development, moved the beta to be public. New thread can be found here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread