Need a new monitor, what to look out for - what to buy?

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Hey,

I'm looking for a new monitor (recently bought 2 BenQ monitors, though the display looks horrible to me now). I bought an iMac, and what a mistake that was the display is beautiful on it, so I'm looking for a monitor that is either similar/or better in display.

Price doesn't really matter, as I use my PC too much to care about how much it costs - however, I'd like to be able to buy 2 of them (initially I'd only buy one monitor and see how it is), so I wouldn't wanna pay like £500 each - but that might change if I like the monitor I'll probably get rid of this iMac and use my Windows PC again.

I'm not too bothered about the brand, I've been looking at some Asus & Samsung monitors, but I really don't know what I'm looking for other than 4k.

For reference, the shitty monitors I currently own are:
x2

Also, the iMac I own (for display reference) is:
27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display -

Any suggestions or hints to what I should ideally be looking for?

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013

Yikes those prices tags.

For me this would be more affordable but perhaps you desire a more modernized monitor like the above;

pros
- pretty affordable
- standard 1080-1920 hd
- 144hz refresh (1ms)

cons
- thicker edges compared to modernized monitors
- long time to turn on (energy star logo 5sec)
- really bright according to reviews, although i'm sure you can lower it.

If you're into 1440p i'd check this out, saw it the other day, ofcourse it's out of my price range though.

Ethereal

Neurotic Male
May 18, 2013
I only use TN panels, but you'll have to get a decent 4k IPS panel to get the colours you do on a retina display.

For example (overpriced :p):

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
BenQ definitely one of the best, most remarkable and sufficient monitors on the market, their price tags are decent too. Dunno if they got 4K monitors, but for gaming its probably the best you will get.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
I only use TN panels, but you'll have to get a decent 4k IPS panel to get the colours you do on a retina display.

For example (overpriced :p):

Quite like that one yeah, have been looking at that model in the past, and a similar 24" model they do, may end up trying it out.

Cheers for the suggestions.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013

these are sexy asf.
27602675503e41c1929c0493137995c6.png

16da12623a7a4b2a865fd4f6b5d85c5a.png

Sexy and not that expensive too it seems :rasta:
that's something around my budget.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Howdy!

Thanks for all the suggestions, did go through them and tried to compare - even though I know nothing about monitors.

I ended up buying this, I really like it so far. I think I'm going to get a second one.

Users who are viewing this thread