Minify - Forum Software Development Thread

Feb 22, 2018
Now before all the keyboard warriors jump out there chairs and start screaming things, hear me out.

I understand that creating a forum software has little to no use for the fact there are already lot's of existing implementations on the market, that are far more, secure, widely known, and used - but, this is more a learning experience to really push myself in my spare time and see what i can create. This is mainly because i struggle to stick with one project, get easily bored, and i often just resort to using the same old same old, and really not pushing myself a lot of the time unless it is something that requires me to - do so. This will be something i do in my spare time and take it slow and just a personal project and at the end of it hopefully this will be released to the world.
Okay so that clears that up.
Onto the actual project,

"Minify" is a forum software which will be built from scratch using PHP, PDO, JSON and my own custom framework for the front-end.
Now you are probably wondering, what makes this so special?

• 100% Totally Customization with very little coding experience, multiple themes and ways for users to create there own themes with total simplicity.
  • Robust, secure login system and authentication system including login by sending a "code" to the users email or phone number which can be used to grant password less logins.
  • Lightweight, fast, and highly optimized code. The forum itself will have fantastic load times, be compatible in all browsers and completely mobile responsive. It will make use of caching and other methods.
  • Beautiful, sleek and simple front-end with a minimal appearance.
  • Customization user profiles where the user can update there avatar, name, description, social media links etc
  • "Hooks" which will allow developers to create plugins extremely easily and simply upload the rar and it will be extracted to the forum and installed and can be then activated.
  • The forum will ship 100% default and stock when it is downloaded from our website and will not contain any plugins, or any bullshit, it is entirely up to the user to make it what they want.
  • Plugins will be available that can enhance and add new functionality but plugins will NOT in anyway replace or update the default code meaning that the plugin is completely separate and as described earlier "hooked" into the project.
  • Achievements, Awards and Name Colours, Ranks etc and a full permissions system will be implemented, including restrictive boards etc like many systems.
  • I MAY make this a flat file forum which is as far as i can tell unheard of at the moment, at least i cannot find any online, i am probably completely wrong.
Now as you can tell there really is nothing special in the features list minus a few, which you would say to me contradicts my earlier statement about it being special. This could be said to be true and that is because as i have said this is mainly made as a project, a test for me and anyone who helps, and ultimately it is an alternative solution to to other software which i feel would appeal to certain people or smaller communities, and as i say, we are not here to compete with massive companies and existing solutions, only to provide an alternative.

If anyone wishes to contribute to this project then just drop a PM message to me with what you are good at or would like to contribute towards the project. (a domain and some hosting would be solid)

Update 1
You must be registered for see images attach
* The Devbest logo was used purely to demonstrate one of the many ways a logo could be displayed on the default theme, remember this is a mock-up, also the logo was the first one i thought of so decided to use it as a placeholder for now.

Update 1.1
For simplicity and for the sake of already having a colour scheme and logo the first theme for this forum software will be a devbest theme.
Some more progress i have made can be seen below.
You must be registered for see images attach
Update 1.1.2
  • Implemented Caching of the Forum Theme and everything that does not need to be viewed live, caches are stored in the /cache folder and are updated every hour by default but can be defined as being longer.

Users who are viewing this thread