LJW - Start of theme for BrainCMS (Constructive criticism needed)

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
Hi, I've just started to learn design and have so far got login/register and the start of /me page done. While this is far from finished, i wanted to share it with you to gain some feedback & other opinions. Please note: this is my first time trying to do something like and comitting to it so where CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is more than appreciated - being purposely degrading is not.

I plan to carry on and finish this of course - based on what you can see from the pictures, what should I change?

Login -
Register -
Homepage -

P.S I know the icons look bad I plan on changing them. The logo on index/register also is not staying.

MovieGuy

Mar 18, 2019
Okay so since you're starting I'll give a few things I'd fix/change:
- Make sure padding/spacing between items is the same, even on your design
- When centering, make sure it's actually centered
- I might be repeating now but just make sure everything has the same width/length and positioning when doing the same thing (shadows for example)
- I do not like the big shadows on all boxes, maybe make it a lot less obvious

Let's see what you can do with these points

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
Thanks for your feedback, I will work on this including your points and update you.
Others also said about the shadows, will change this
Post automatically merged:

Also, seeing as my design obviously isn’t the best standard as of right now, if anyone has an eye for design and would like to help or suggest. Please feel free as I’d greatly appreciate the help. All will be considered

Last edited:

Maatt

Aug 29, 2012
Agreed with above comments. I think you need to go easy on the drop shadows, this could look quite smart then.

As a Habbo Hotel theme i'd like to see more pixel art/graphics present on the CMS. This looks too generic at the moment.

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
Agreed with above comments. I think you need to go easy on the drop shadows, this could look quite smart then.

As a Habbo Hotel theme i'd like to see more pixel art/graphics present on the CMS. This looks too generic at the moment.
Understood and agree, I’m currently learning the fundamentals of Figma I’m only getting started with it. Tomorrrow I will update index and register and work on homepage. More pixel art and images will be present in next update. Thanks for feedback!

Small updates, added header image above navigator.

- Removed most of the box shadows as suggested.

- Added "news" area

- Enlarged size of some areas (fonts also)

- I removed the nav icons ( for now ) until I get better ones.

- Started staff page -

- Homepage -

I still need to add a lot of graphics/pixel art. Anyone who is comfortable in that area can drop some they'd like me to use below graphics aren't my strong suit.

Before I carry on, I will add all of the basic pages, "account settings" "leaderboards etc" before going any further on design.

- Update on Index ( need an image for above the login/register boxes. ) changed buttons, resized recoloured. Added border radius and reduced box-shadows.

Last edited:

Chuckie_

Jun 22, 2019
You should really do some research and not even think about getting custom pixel art before you've got the basics set. Your spacing is too wild and makes it very confusing to grasp you are even looking at. You are inconsistent in a lot of places where some of the boxes have a rounded edge and others don't. A tip would be to use some sort of column design, so that your boxes actually line up.

Good to see someone interested in doing design though, looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with. Writing this on the run so feel free to hit me up if some of it doesn't make sense to u.

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
You should really do some research and not even think about getting custom pixel art before you've got the basics set. Your spacing is too wild and makes it very confusing to grasp you are even looking at. You are inconsistent in a lot of places where some of the boxes have a rounded edge and others don't. A tip would be to use some sort of column design, so that your boxes actually line up.

Good to see someone interested in doing design though, looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with. Writing this on the run so feel free to hit me up if some of it doesn't make sense to u.
What's your discord? I'll message you on there.

- Restarted the /homepage. Going a lot slower, and trying to get it right. Struggling for content ideas; didn't like the way it was before. How would you like to see the currency boxes positioned.

Last edited:

Eclecticlad

Sep 14, 2020
I would suggest changing the colour of your register and forgotten password button. Red is often associated with a negative action such as logout or delete and orange is often for a cautious action.

Keeping the login green makes your primary action clear but could definitely consider a more neutral colour for the other two actions.

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
I would suggest changing the colour of your register and forgotten password button. Red is often associated with a negative action such as logout or delete and orange is often for a cautious action.

Keeping the login green makes your primary action clear but could definitely consider a more neutral colour for the other two actions.
Taken this on bored and altered it, also added more content to the /homepage such as news area and users badges area. I feel like this is just a slow progress for me but I will continue to update you as I go along.

Bran

mediocre graphics artist
Mar 13, 2017
Hi, I've just started to learn design and have so far got login/register and the start of /me page done. While this is far from finished, i wanted to share it with you to gain some feedback & other opinions. Please note: this is my first time trying to do something like and comitting to it so where CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is more than appreciated - being purposely degrading is not.

I plan to carry on and finish this of course - based on what you can see from the pictures, what should I change?

Login -
Register -
Homepage -

P.S I know the icons look bad I plan on changing them. The logo on index/register also is not staying.
i like how minimalistic it is

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
i like how minimalistic it is
I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not, hopefully not 🤣. But yeah this is my first time committing to something like this the only thing I myself am annoyed with is the area where the user, credits and pixels are. And the enter client. I plan on changing that today I just need some ideas

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
Pretty nice work - Hope you will get the best result
Thanks for the kind words, I hope so to.

- Changed a lot from the last one, colour-scheme etc. Will work on better area for the blank space ( avatar-area, credits, pixels, motto ) etc. Opinions on this one?

Last edited:

Bran

mediocre graphics artist
Mar 13, 2017
I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not, hopefully not 🤣. But yeah this is my first time committing to something like this the only thing I myself am annoyed with is the area where the user, credits and pixels are. And the enter client. I plan on changing that today I just need some ideas
not sarcastic what so ever love

Users who are viewing this thread