I did it, boys!

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Had my second driving test attempt today and passed it with 4 minors. I failed my first attempt with 1 minor early last month and had to wait a month for a new test :(

Now it's time to get car hunting and searching for a web-developer job..

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Finally Mark! Congrats with the drivers license.
Thanks man!

Yeah it took me a while to actually get round to getting them done, but I stepped back a little and thought, "shit Mark, you're almost 23 and don't have a license or a car... get your shit together boi!"

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Congratulations man! Being able to drive a car makes things so much easier. Any idea what kind of car you're gonna get?

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Well done. Cya in Newcastle soon

I suppose you'll have more than 1 minor in the car when you get a car ;)

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Thanks man!

Yeah it took me a while to actually get round to getting them done, but I stepped back a little and thought, "shit Mark, you're almost 23 and don't have a license or a car... get your shit together boi!"
Hmph well i'm 18 and i already feel like a piece of shit, good to know there's someone out there that was 18+ without a license :p

Congrats m8

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Congratulations man! Being able to drive a car makes things so much easier. Any idea what kind of car you're gonna get?
Thanks man! I'm looking at a Fiesta in white, they're soooo nice and within my price range at the minute!
im proud of you son
Thanks brah
Well done. Cya in Newcastle soon

I suppose you'll have more than 1 minor in the car when you get a car ;)
Nice one man, it'll have to be arranged!
And you know it ;)
Hmph well i'm 18 and i already feel like a piece of shit, good to know there's someone out there that was 18+ without a license :p

Congrats m8
Thanks mate. Yeah I wasn't bothered about it at all when I turned 17 (driving age in UK is 17) but then all my mates started to get licenses and cars and I figured I needed to get my shit together. I also got let down on a £35-40k web-developer job because I couldn't drive because it was too far for public transport, but just fine for driving. :(

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
What minors did you get?

Congrats m8
You have no excuse though, they practically give them away here, especially if you're 18 or older.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
What minors did you get?

You have no excuse though, they practically give them away here, especially if you're 18 or older.
Ageed. I just don't get out much so i really don't fancy social environments (like driving school), at all.

Eh, someday..

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Ageed. I just don't get out much so i really don't fancy social environments (like driving school), at all.

Eh, someday..
Well I totally feel ya.
Basically I've taken public transport 3+ hours every day for the past 5 years.
We have something called "youth card" which practically all it does is save us 50-75% on fees, but yet again, our transport is always late, and there's always roadwork to be done somewhere, or there's issues with their signal system.

Here we can get our drivers license 3 months before we reach 17 years.
But until we reach 18, we'd need to have a passenger whom has had a drivers license for minimum 10 years with a clean license.
And car fees? Damn boi, there's around 65% road taxes and so on.
Expensive as fuck to own a car here.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
What minors did you get?
I got:
1 x Signalling (not checking mirrors when signalling)
1 x meeting
1 x overtaking
1 x control while reverse parking

The meeting and overtaking aren't really my fault:

We're meant to check mirrors as we signal, I obviously mustn't have checked mirrors when I signalled once but I was certain I had done them all. :)

With the meeting one, it was at a traffic calming system with bollards where only one lane of traffic can pass through at a time, and the other has to wait. It was clear, so I went through and had right of way. As I'm half way through, a woman comes to the traffic calming system and decides to go through even though she couldn't possibly do so as there is no space as only one lane can fit through.

Just like this, except there's another set of bollards on the other side of the road slightly further up
9b9a8aaf0907ec52baf7c3143ed77b41.jpg

The overtaking minor was for a cyclist. I had given them plenty of space as I moved out of my lane to overtake him, but as I moved back in to my lane, I didn't give him as much space as required (6ft according to theory test). I must've given him about 4 or 5ft. But I couldn't give him anymore space because there was traffic coming from the other side and I was driving on a bend, so if I'd have given him 6ft, I'd have crashed into oncoming traffic.

The reverse park was for hitting a curb but I honestly couldn't feel it. When I finish my test, the examiner said it was the front left wheel which slightly knocked the curb. Now obviously with him sitting in the passenger seat (front left over here), he'd have felt it more than anyone.

How did you pass with 4 minors this time yet fail with 1 minor last time?!
That's what annoyed me. I've explained the minors from this test in my reply to Josh above.

In my previous test, the only minor I got was for understeering at a junction. I was in my independent driving session part of the test and was looking out for the 4th right, which was one of my instructions. But because I was looking out for it and it was on a bend, I almost missed the turn. So I had to come to a slight sudden stop and almost missed the turn in by not steering enough :). But I failed that test because a woman cut me up at the lights and the examiner slammed on the brakes although there was no need. Honestly, I just think he panicked. It wasn't my fault she cut me up. I was controlling the situation by coming to a complete stop.

Users who are viewing this thread