HP Compaq Presario CQ56 Blinking LED

IntactDev

Nov 22, 2012
IntactDev said:
Hello! I am new to this forum, so pardon me if I break any rules.

I've recently decided that I wanted to fix my laptops (as many of them are messed up) and I said why not start with my Compaq laptops. This laptop was overheating because of a damaged CPU Cooling Fan, so I purchased one off of Amazon and replaced it. After doing this process (which took 1.5 hours) my computer turns on (with fan spinning - fresh air!) but the screen still looks as if it is off, and my Caps Lock button is blinking 1 time every 4-5 seconds. I looked up what this means, and HP said that it's a CPU error. I then disassembled the laptop 2 more times, making sure that everything was reconnected and the CPU was on properly and locked in. Everything looks fine, yet it still does the LED blink.

What else could the problem be? I've tried to fix this all night/morning!

Thanks in Advance,
IntactDev
Web Developer

IntactDev

Nov 22, 2012
Nope, no sounds. It's just the LED lights on the keyboard blinking, but the Optical Drives sound fine, and the CPU Cooling Fan (the part that I replaced) is sounding pretty good and blows cool air.

IntactDev

Nov 22, 2012
Read the post please; I stated this above. It blinks 1 time every 4-5 seconds, which indicated that it's a CPU problem, but I checked the CPU and it looks just fine.

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
Remove the battery and use the charger only if it powers on its your battery. Else it is probably your CPU. Also try a hard reset with the laptop. Another thing people forget is if the bios is broken the laptop won't post even if the CPU ram and power work.

Ethereal

Neurotic Male
May 18, 2013
Remove the battery and use the charger only if it powers on its your battery. Else it is probably your CPU. Also try a hard reset with the laptop. Another thing people forget is if the bios is broken the laptop won't post even if the CPU ram and power work.

Lol, read the Thread. (I made the mistake of not doing so too)

IntactDev

Nov 22, 2012
It worked fine before I replaced the CPU Cooling Fan.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Yeah, after further investigation I discovered that one of the "hairs" on my CPU was bent, and when I tried to unbend it, I blended and BROKE several others in the process. I'm ordering a new CPU tomorrow night when I get home from school.
best idea is to use a mechanical pencil and put the pin in where the led (graphite) comes out, and straighten it that way. I do it all the time just for the fuck of it sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread