Hiding backend IP

maxx

Oct 11, 2019
What methods do you guys use to hide your retros backend IP?

As many people I'm using Cloudflare for both my subdomains which works perfectly, however I still have my servers emulator IP revealed in my client. I know Cloudflare offers their service "Cloudflare Spectrum" which also protects TCP/UDP services, but it's only available for Enterprise customers. The Enterprise upgrade price isn't even listed on their site, you actually have to contact them which is never a good sign - so, probably out of my budget. :)

I saw one retro who tried to obfuscate the IP and port using Javascript, but that defense is easily avoided by reverse-engineering the code, or simply running it in your console and printing the contents of the variables set. If anything this would just frustrate script-kiddies.

So how do you guys go about it? Do you just rent a strong server with good DDoS-protection and hope for the best?

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Ahh, I was hoping there would've been a smarter way. Do have any recommendations for DDoS-protected providers?
I'm confused by what you mean smarter way, by looking for DDoS protection to me thats great but you need protect first to ensure nobody gets the IP address to begin with which is what a TCP proxy does?

maxx

Oct 11, 2019
I'm confused by what you mean smarter way, by looking for DDoS protection to me thats great but you need protect first to ensure nobody gets the IP address to begin with which is what a TCP proxy does?
I mean DDoS protection for the proxy server. Since I can't obfuscate the backend a proxy would be the obvious choice, but if someone can just hit the proxy offline it defeats the purpose of it.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Although pricey I would recommend the website and application protection JavaPipe has to offer, although the same can be achieved by using a game server from OVH.

maxx

Oct 11, 2019
I would start off with a cheaper TCP proxy that can handle traffic, there’s no point spending over $100 every month for a new hotel with 5-10 active users.
Yeah, I think I'm going to go with their DDoS protected VPS instead and deploy my emulator on there, but I'll keep looking for a solid and cheap TCP proxy.

Users who are viewing this thread