Have you wrote a Android or iOS app before?

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Hey, hey.

Got a little idea for an app, and I'm wondering if anyone has wrote one before? Specifically using Xamarin.

I'm looking to make an app primarily for Android (for now), but I figured if I use Xamarin and make a native app I'll probably be better off that way? As I can use for both Android and iOS if I choose to go that way.

Or do you reckon I should just write it for Android? If that is the case, I'd probably not use Xamarin and use Java, just to be able to learn more Java. Writing it for Android would mean i'd have to write an app for iOS too later down the line, whereas using Xamarin would save that job, but may be a lot more sloppy/limited, I don't know.

I know nothing about making apps, just learning. Working on a project for myself, but figured it could be worth publishing in the future; hence wanting both Android and iOS.

Cheers.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I have experience with Xamarin. I honestly don't advice using it at all. Even though it offers support for all devices, eventually you'll end up with a shitty program that might work in the Windows emulator.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Never wrote an OS application before, but I might begin to learn it using nodejs webkit. I've heard about Xamarin and alot of big apps have developed in that environment, but well as Wess said, might not be good at all.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
I have experience with Xamarin. I honestly don't advice using it at all. Even though it offers support for all devices, eventually you'll end up with a shitty program that might work in the Windows emulator.

How long ago with this? Everything seems revised now, especially since Visual Studio getting more support too.

Never wrote an OS application before, but I might begin to learn it using nodejs webkit. I've heard about Xamarin and alot of big apps have developed in that environment, but well as Wess said, might not be good at all.

Cheers for the input. :p

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
How long ago with this? Everything seems revised now, especially since Visual Studio getting more support too.

Last year. The thing is that it offers limited support if you compare it with bare Android development.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Have you considered ? That's what I used to create the ShareFast iOS app. It'd be super easy for you to get the hang of it, since it's HTML, CSS, and JS.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Have you considered ? That's what I used to create the ShareFast iOS app. It'd be super easy for you to get the hang of it, since it's HTML, CSS, and JS.
Or to make it even easier, use Apache Cordova. (I know PhoneGap is a part of Adobe's contribution to Cordova)

TheRealMoonman

I eat babies
Sep 30, 2014
Xamarin is good, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to build a decent application, Android SDK would be the way to go, and for IOS, I saw videos of XCode, which is the main SDK for IOS app development i'm pretty sure, and it looks amazing, unfortunately, to no surprise, its must be installed on a Mac.

Also, Xamarin IOS development only works on a Apple computer as well, as far as i recollect.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
You could have a look at ReactNative . Facebook and Instagram are using it in production, so it's not some crappy "hey guys look what I can do" type of framework.

Native Android development is a bit of a pain at times, but can be fun (if you have a decent spec PC). Android also suffers from fragmentation and weird implementation issues, so bugs that arise on say Samsung devices won't be found on LG devices and vice versa. The fragmentation issue can be a problem if you're using the latest APIs (but most APIs are backported to older versions).

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
You could have a look at ReactNative
. Facebook and Instagram are using it in production, so it's not some crappy "hey guys look what I can do" type of framework.

Native Android development is a bit of a pain at times, but can be fun (if you have a decent spec PC). Android also suffers from fragmentation and weird implementation issues, so bugs that arise on say Samsung devices won't be found on LG devices and vice versa. The fragmentation issue can be a problem if you're using the latest APIs (but most APIs are backported to older versions).

After having read this post, I must say it gives you a really good explanation on the differences between React Native and Cordova.

Pinkman

Posting Freak
Jul 27, 2016
I have created both an android as well as iOS app before. I would recommend you use PhoneGap for now and play around as @bigdawg stated. It is simply HTML and css. I don't really like xamarin but that was before so it may be revised as you said. I would recommend you install xamarin on Visual studio as a plugin (that's the way I have created the app) Ermm another top tip is create it on something that produces 2 in 1. E.g 1 code into 2platforms. Give me a PM if you need but that's it for all.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
I have created both an android as well as iOS app before. I would recommend you use PhoneGap for now and play around as @bigdawg stated. It is simply HTML and css. I don't really like xamarin but that was before so it may be revised as you said. I would recommend you install xamarin on Visual studio as a plugin (that's the way I have created the app) Ermm another top tip is create it on something that produces 2 in 1. E.g 1 code into 2platforms. Give me a PM if you need but that's it for all.
PhoneGap is basically Adobe's service built on Apache Cordova just in a more user friendly way. As @Adil mentioned React-Native is an insanely good platform for mobile development.

7r1n17y

Jun 11, 2017
If you want to code a nice, smooth, and fast iOS / Android app you probably want to use Swift, Java, JS, PHP, and Objective C. The main reason you want to use Swift is because it is now open source and with that being said i can see in the future that Swift will soon be compatible on both platforms.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
If you want to code a nice, smooth, and fast iOS / Android app you probably want to use Swift, Java, JS, PHP, and Objective C. The main reason you want to use Swift is because it is now open source and with that being said i can see in the future that Swift will soon be compatible on both platforms.
Tbh, I wouldn't even bother anything other than Cordova or React Native when it comes to building a native mobile application.
Of course depending on what it is you're going to code.

Users who are viewing this thread