Habbo & Flash

Hypothesis

Programmer
Jan 6, 2019
This topic has been spiraling around for quite while, since the announcement of Flash being discontinued.
I'm sure everyone is aware that Flash is expected to be discontinued in 2020, but what exactly does this mean?
I've done digging into this, and got statements like.

"Until then, Adobe will still partner with the likes of Apple, Mozilla, Microsoft and Google to offer security updates for Flash in their browsers and support new versions of them, but beyond that, Adobe will not offer any new Flash features."

"For existing Flash content, the eventual, final version of the Flash plug-in will still work after 2020, and Adobe will work with browser makers to ensure security vulnerabilities are patched. ... So here's to you, Flash. "

When I read these statements, my understanding is Flash will be just like Shockwave when it was discontinued. Shockwave was apparently discontinued officially last month, April, and that mean't that no more shockwave downloads existed, but thing is, there's third party websites and/or people that have the original Shockwave download and all Shockwave content will still run if you have it installed already. This means all Flash content will still work in 2020, there just won't be anymore security patches to it is what I presume. If they just so happen to remove Flash downloads from the official website after 2020, wouldn't it be possible for someone from the retro community to just upload their Flash download? Technically speaking, this means that retros would still be possible in the year 2020 and so on, not saying people should still be making them after Flash is discontinued, but it's indeed possible.

What're your thoughts on these statements and what will happen to Flash?

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
I think this is very much stating the obvious? We all knew this when we discovered that Flash would be discontinued?

From what I've read, Google have their own variant - PPAPI, Peppermint. I'm sure they'll support it for a while. It's worth noting that in Chromium by default Flash is now disabled, this will probably be the same for Chrome, it's no big deal at all though.

Hypothesis

Programmer
Jan 6, 2019
I don't think you understand what End of Life means in terms of software.
I haven't seen the term "End of Life" in any of my research or anything regarding the terms of service of Adobe/Flash. Maybe I didn't dig that deep? Most statements I've heard from people were Flash is going to be discontinued and not function anymore, but from what i'm seeing from valid sources states that current flash programs and websites will still function, just no longer be updated.
I think this is very much stating the obvious? We all knew this when we discovered that Flash would be discontinued?

From what I've read, Google have their own variant - PPAPI, Peppermint. I'm sure they'll support it for a while. It's worth noting that in Chromium by default Flash is now disabled, this will probably be the same for Chrome, it's no big deal at all though.
Not everyone knew this, considering multiple people on this forum alone have even made threads stating that retros will no longer function unless they switch to HTML5. I didn't know that about Chrome though, interesting.

Last edited:

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
I haven't seen the term "End of Life" in any of my research or anything regarding the terms of service regarding Flash. Maybe I didn't dig that deep? Most statements I've heard from people were Flash is going to be discontinued and not function anymore, but from what i'm seeing from valid sources states that current flash programs and websites will still function, just no longer be updated.

Not everyone knew this, considering multiple people on this forum alone have even made threads stating that retros will no longer function unless they switch to HTML5. I didn't know that about Chrome though, interesting.

People panic and worry over simple things. We saw how long Shockwave ran for after it'd had been announced that support would drop. Flash is massive, it's not like as soon as the date hits 2020 it'll cease to work. It'll always be around, just unsupported - with the exception of probably Google pushing crucial fixes to their variant. I've seen the rise of HTML5 developments, but haven't seen people worrying about retros not functioning in 2020, those guys are idiots.

Short; It being discontinued does not affect the functionality of it. It'll just be lesser natively supported on browsers, with users having to enable it in the browser - or source it & install it themselves.

We'll be fine, let's worry about HTML5 in December 2020.

Hypothesis

Programmer
Jan 6, 2019
People panic and worry over simple things. We saw how long Shockwave ran for after it'd had been announced that support would drop. Flash is massive, it's not like as soon as the date hits 2020 it'll cease to work. It'll always be around, just unsupported - with the exception of probably Google pushing crucial fixes to their variant. I've seen the rise of HTML5 developments, but haven't seen people worrying about retros not functioning in 2020, those guys are idiots.

Short; It being discontinued does not affect the functionality of it. It'll just be lesser natively supported on browsers, with users having to enable it in the browser - or source it & install it themselves.

We'll be fine, let's worry about HTML5 in December 2020.
Yeah, Shockwave lasted longer than expected even after "discontinuing" it, it still remained available on the Adobe site for years
You're right though, bit too soon to be worrying about it, only 5 months into this year, good end off statement :up:

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
I haven't seen the term "End of Life" in any of my research or anything regarding the terms of service of Adobe/Flash. Maybe I didn't dig that deep? Most statements I've heard from people were Flash is going to be discontinued and not function anymore, but from what i'm seeing from valid sources states that current flash programs and websites will still function, just no longer be updated.

Given this progress, and in collaboration with several of our technology partners – including , , , and – Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

Think of it like PHP versions becoming EoL. You can still install EoL PHP versions. They just no longer receive updates (and contain glaring vulnerabilities).

Storm23

Apr 25, 2019
As Sledmore said.
Also a point, there's an electron.js popup for flash ( ).

Users who are viewing this thread