Game Engine

Ben144

Jan 31, 2017
Hey Guys

I want to start on a rather large project but i cannot really find the answers that i am looking for and i am wonder if someone can point me in the correct direction but, i want to create my own 3D muiltiplatform game engine in c++ just like unity, Godot and rage and i would prefer it to be in a software like version.

Thanks In Advance

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
Hey Guys

I want to start on a rather large project but i cannot really find the answers that i am looking for and i am wonder if someone can point me in the correct direction but, i want to create my own 3D muiltiplatform game engine in c++ just like unity, Godot and rage and i would prefer it to be in a software like version.

Thanks In Advance
Well the only thing that i can think of is resources like:

Fair warning building a 3D multi-platform game engine is almost as hard as creating your own operating system in some cases. There is a lot of mathematics involved, you will have to create your camera system, math libraries, path finding, object manipulation libraries, sound libraries, sprite and texture management systems, dialogue flow tree's and much much more.

If this is something you really really really wanna do i would advice picking a single platform at first to develop for, use already existing math libraries, sound libraries, opengl libraries, and have a lot of patients and a team to help develop this project.

Jaden

not so active
Aug 24, 2014
I recommend using DirectX instead of OpenGL if you're developing on a Windows machine, even though OpenGL is cross-platform you might want to separate the OS builds because of the different libraries you'd use on different platforms.

EDIT:
Depending on the type of graphics you'll be rendering you could take advantage of already existing C++ engines like how Node did with V8 (but you'd use something different and more specialized for your game, and suitable for a game environment).

p.s.
A game engine is actually very different from a game and probably even more complex because you'll essentially be creating a platform that is used to develop games which is kinda similar to developing a higher level language and a compiler for it because the developer will be expecting some type of output and they'd probably want that output to be as optimized and production-ready as possible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread