Free | Simple | HTML Web Template

iExplicit

Jul 30, 2013
Hey guys,

Well from Saturday i learned quite alot of HTML and CSS, and i managed to pair together a little site, it's pretty crap that's why i gave it the name Simple, Well lets' get to it

Here's a screenie:
The notice part is using the marquee tag
d5ff2566bacc21d6d2cfc27d16394f25.png

Last edited:

NSA

sudo apt-get thefuckout.tar.gz
Dec 9, 2011
This is good for your first attempt.
Keep learning, practicing and eventually you'll get better.
You won't get much constructive criticism here, just useless comments like "Lol gay" or "This is shite".
Keep going, you'll get better.

Last edited:

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
The use of css is pretty well and you've shown you know how to use some of the basic elements of css. However, a part of design is knowing about color schemes and this, in my opinion, isn't the best. Don't get me wrong, I've seen worse but for me this doesn't work too well.

Why not try improving the color-scheme on this site, then updating the OP?

Some useful links if you can't think of a color-scheme:

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
The use of css is pretty well and you've shown you know how to use some of the basic elements of css. However, a part of design is knowing about color schemes and this, in my opinion, isn't the best. Don't get me wrong, I've seen worse but for me this doesn't work too well.

Colour scheme may not be perfect, but for now I don't think it matters as he's still learning the basic fundamentals of HTML & CSS.

iExplicit

Jul 30, 2013

Colour scheme may not be perfect, but for now I don't think it matters as he's still learning the basic fundamentals of HTML & CSS.

Thanks for the feedback, i will take this into hand when i am making another template, thank you for the links also

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
OFT:
Do you use Photoshop to design you websites, and then slice them and code it?
Very rarely. I prefer just coding it up and using CSS3 as much as possible instead of using images. Just a personal thing though, some people prefer the photoshop way. I do sometimes use photoshop to create a mockup.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
OFT:
Do you use Photoshop to design you websites, and then slice them and code it?
I do; I like to get a feel of how the site will look first before I code it rather than code 10 different versions without a proper understanding of how it will look.

So I will design in Photoshop--although I'm not a designer at heart--then I will go ahead and code it, but will try to use CSS3 as much as possible rather than using images for things such as gradients, etc.

iExplicit

Jul 30, 2013
Very rarely. I prefer just coding it up and using CSS3 as much as possible instead of using images. Just a personal thing though, some people prefer the photoshop way. I do sometimes use photoshop to create a mockup.
I do; I like to get a feel of how the site will look first before I code it rather than code 10 different versions without a proper understanding of how it will look.

So I will design in Photoshop--although I'm not a designer at heart--then I will go ahead and code it, but will try to use CSS3 as much as possible rather than using images for things such as gradients, etc.
Okay noob question, but what is CSS'3'

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
Ok, for a first attempt it's okay. But just some things to keep in mind when you learn more HTML:
  • Properly indent your code for readability.
  • Never (NEVER) use IDs in CSS (it's a slow selector). Use IDs for JavaScript only.
  • The <marquee> tag is deprecated. It's a non-standard tag and should never be used. Use JavaScript instead.
  • Use <p> tags for paragraphs. Always.
  • If you're going to use JavaScript. Always include it in the body tag right above the ending </body> tag
  • IDs are unique to one element, and one element only. (See line 17-19 in index.html)
  • I know it's easier to set the radius by each side. But keep it simpler by using only the border-radius: top-left top-right bottom-right bottom-left - this counts for all properties.
These are some aspects to look at when you get more into HTML. It's very important to follow these guidelines.

EDIT:

If you're using CSS3 make sure to use prefix' too. For instance if you want a border-radius - we need to support other browsers too:

Code:
border-radius: 4px; /* WebKit (Chrome, Safari, Opera) */
-ms-border-radius: 4px; /* Presto (IE 7+) */
-o-border-radius: 4px; /* Opera */
-moz-border-radius: 4px; /* Mozilla Firefox */

This is needed for mostly all CSS3 properties (excl. text-shadow and some others)

iExplicit

Jul 30, 2013
Ok, for a first attempt it's okay. But just some things to keep in mind when you learn more HTML:
  • Properly indent your code for readability.
  • Never (NEVER) use IDs in CSS (it's a slow selector). Use IDs for JavaScript only.
  • The <marquee> tag is deprecated. It's a non-standard tag and should never be used. Use JavaScript instead.
  • Use <p> tags for paragraphs. Always.
  • If you're going to use JavaScript. Always include it in the body tag right above the ending </body> tag
  • IDs are unique to one element, and one element only. (See line 17-19 in index.html)
  • I know it's easier to set the radius by each side. But keep it simpler by using only the border-radius: top-left top-right bottom-right bottom-left - this counts for all properties.
These are some aspects to look at when you get more into HTML. It's very important to follow these guidelines.
Thanks for the feedback will take it to hand

Users who are viewing this thread