Enable global dark theme in Windows 10

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Windows 10 has a hidden dark theme which is enabled by adding two keys to the registry. Apparently the dark theme was only used in the development phases of windows but it's still availible in the final release.

To enable the theme start by hitting (WIN KEY) + r:
fYVPbTt.png

type in "regedit" and hit ok, you should then be presented with a pop up asking permission to run the registry editor.
NQQNPju.png

You'll then want to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CURRENT VERSION > Themes > Personalize
wYPvsQz.png

The final step is easy, we now need to add two custom keys to the "personalize" file.
AppsUseLightTheme (DWORD 32bit) value= 0
SystemUsesLightTheme (DWORD 32bit) value= 0
D7Frquu.png

lEL3cCu.png

After you've finished, you can open your settings and you should notice that the dark theme has been enabled!
ycrRrAW.png

cWKr6dq.png

And that's it. If you wish to remove the dark theme, just delete the two new keys you've added and your system will revert to the default theme.
cheers

Last edited:

Mastah

the funny thing is \r\n i did
Oct 25, 2010
God damn that's sexy, I'll try it out once the upgrade to Windows 8.1 is done and once I have the possibility to upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks so much going to remind this one! And maybe tell this one to some of my friends.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
God damn that's sexy, I'll try it out once the upgrade to Windows 8.1 is done and once I have the possibility to upgrade to Windows 10.

Thanks so much going to remind this one! And maybe tell this one to some of my friends.
It's still a little weird looking but for the most part it's solid, cheers dude

Users who are viewing this thread