[Electron + Angular + TypeScript] Venobo Streaming App

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Venobo is like Popcorn Time, but 100 times better!
An incredible smooth design, and powered by TMDb's fantastic API.

You can even choose from which torrent indexes and releases groups to sort by to ensure the best quality. This is simply an option, otherwise it'll be automated.

Created using Electron, Angular, TypeScript, WebChimera and WebTorrent.

This service will include many different features that will vary.
Features as:
  • Offline mode
  • Caching
  • Advanced search engine
  • Chatroom
  • Advanced suggestions
  • Notifications
  • A built-in proxy connection
  • Advanced media player
  • And so on...

I've created a git repository for this project:

All kinds of feedback and further features that could be added will be appreciated!

Last edited:

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Quite curious how this will end up. If you're making something like Popcorn Time, I'd keep out user registration as streaming is forbidden in most countries, and this could form a potential risk.

Will this be opensourced?

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
What sort of stuff will it be streaming? Shows like Family Guy, Breaking Bad etc? Won't this be at all illegal?

The design is nice but surely there are massive risks involved?

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
What sort of stuff will it be streaming? Shows like Family Guy, Breaking Bad etc? Won't this be at all illegal?

The design is nice but surely there are massive risks involved?
Well the app itself is not illegal, as it uses the service to simulate torrent streaming.
I am pretty much gonna rip apart their Desktop app and use their media player.

@Ichabod yeah it's probably gonna end up open source.
But if it's gonna end up using a built-in VPN, user authentication would be no problem.

I've torrented for almost 7 years without a proxy or VPN, and I didn't have any problems at all, it all depends on your internet provider

Currently the home page looks like this

This is my actual first project try at coding CSS from scratch, so I am pretty proud of the results so far.
Mmpo75G.png

^ Something wrong with the Devbest proxy?

Been coding a little bit more on the design.
What do you think?
bOUnC7Z.png

EDIT:
@RastaLulz fix ur goddamn "proxy" script

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
It feels like the images are way too big, especially when you'll have multiple results in there it will become messy real quick. I love the design overall tho, looks really clean and neat. I'd already prefer it over Popcorn Time, designwise.

Menkz

Jul 9, 2010
You could do what popcorn time does with their images, and have an option to make the icons smaller/bigger - /

Another suggestion is have it use the youtube API aswell so you can watch youtube videos on it.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
It feels like the images are way too big, especially when you'll have multiple results in there it will become messy real quick. I love the design overall tho, looks really clean and neat. I'd already prefer it over Popcorn Time, designwise.
Oh yeah haha, this is just the main streaming page, and not the search results thingy. I'm just trying some designs out to see what will look best.

Also I'm going to use tmdb's api, which means I'll most likely be able to code a language switcher, and a lot of other neat overview stuff

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Hey,

Your app is using extremely bad coding styles. The only few examples noticeable from the image is global variables, and a statement suggesting nesting a http server inside of Electron. Please follow Node control-patterns when developing, and keep your folders organized.

Also, for the love of god. If you try using ES6, don't obsessively use arrow functions because it's only intended to be a hack for some functions not all.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Lookin good, is this gonna be the first legit node app finished by someone at devbest?
Before anyone gets triggered, "first node app" as in application, not website.

Where's the code, brah?
Some snipps or github would be nice, as i've also started my journey into scratch javascript and would like to learn.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Lookin good, is this gonna be the first legit node app finished by someone at devbest?
Before anyone gets triggered, "first node app" as in application, not website.

Where's the code, brah?
Some snipps or github would be nice, as i've also started my journey into scratch javascript and would like to learn.
I guess it will be.

Maybe sometime soon it's gonna be opensource, I've just not posted anything yet, since I've only coded some of the design for now and the API.
Just managed to setup React and ES6 properly.

The main overview page looks like this right now:
1Plpb9t.png

Your app is using extremely bad coding styles. The only few examples noticeable from the image is global variables, and a statement suggesting nesting a http server inside of Electron. Please follow Node control-patterns when developing, and keep your folders organized.
Are you somehow retarded kid? You just can't stop commenting more irrelevant and nonsense bullshit. Did your parents beat the shit outts your brain cells, or are you just another fucking dumb ignorant american? How the fuck can you judge whether or not I'm using bad coding styles when I haven't shown a single code snippet? If it haven't occured to you, dipshit, this is just the design you little mug. For the sake of god, you keep on acting as some hardcore developer from Stackoverflow, even though when every user on this damn forum knows how you really are Pettyjohn. Sorry to be so harsh, but I'm fucking tired of your daily bullshit simply because nobody gives a single fuck about you in the real life. Keep on living on the internet and pretend you're some tough ass child because you're at some shitty ass bootcamp. Gtfo out my face you little piece of shit.

Xuxu

Nov 21, 2016

agreed, slightly smaller preview images if possible? and the names that have Stream in it are bland. i would go with one of these
  • Venobo
  • Primely
  • Filmovo
  • Flixiago
just my opinion :p

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
agreed, slightly smaller preview images if possible? and the names that have Stream in it are bland. i would go with one of these
  • Venobo
  • Primely
  • Filmovo
  • Flixiago
just my opinion :p
Yeah, it will be smaller, but as you can see on this image below, it was only a preview of the overview page:
1Plpb9t.png

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Yeah, pretty "self explanatory".
PHP:
const config = require(__dirname + '/config')

module.exports = {
  auth: require(__dirname + '/auth')
  md5: require('crypto-js/md5'),
  sha256: require('crypto-js/sha256'),
  secret: config.secret,
  session: require(__dirname + '/session')
}
That isnt' following ES6.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
There would be no reason to "setup" something without using it. Your app isn't "setup" to use ES6 if it's not even supporting ES6 features. Babel only effects code using ES6 by converting it to ES5 on compile

Users who are viewing this thread