[Electron + Angular + TypeScript] Venobo Streaming App

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Yes, currently registering/logging is mandatory.
If you check the remember me, you basically only have to login once.
Wouldn't make it mandatory, as you're still working with torrents. I wouldn't use Popcorn Time either if I had to register/login first.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Wouldn't make it mandatory, as you're still working with torrents. I wouldn't use Popcorn Time either if I had to register/login first.
Well I am making it mandatory because of several reasons:
Bookmarks, settings, offline mode, (maybe built-in proxy?), better suggestions for new movies / shows etc.
Aswell to get the best quality media, I manually find the torrent magnets and insert them into the DB.
Tbh I don't see the issue in having to register first

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Well I am making it mandatory because of several reasons:
Bookmarks, settings, offline mode, (maybe built-in proxy?), better suggestions for new movies / shows etc.
Aswell to get the best quality media, I manually find the torrent magnets and insert them into the DB.
Tbh I don't see the issue in having to register first
For the same reason Popcorn Time advices you to use a VPN. Torrenting is still illegal in a lot of countries. Especially if I am in such a country, I would never want to sign up before doing something that could possibly get me into trouble. It's a giant safety hazard, let's say your service does get taken down for investigation, and your whole database is filled with users who (potentially) used your service to torrent.

If you make logging in mandatory, I don't think people would use this. Besides the obvious safety risks, I'd be annoyed too if I had to register/login before using something like this. I'd gladly leave the extra options such as offline mode/better suggestions for just a good working version of what it is.

Making it optional for all those extra's, sure, then it's their own choice to take the risk.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
For the same reason Popcorn Time advices you to use a VPN. Torrenting is still illegal in a lot of countries. Especially if I am in such a country, I would never want to sign up before doing something that could possibly get me into trouble. It's a giant safety hazard, let's say your service does get taken down for investigation, and your whole database is filled with users who (potentially) used your service to torrent.

If you make logging in mandatory, I don't think people would use this. Besides the obvious safety risks, I'd be annoyed too if I had to register/login before using something like this. I'd gladly leave the extra options such as offline mode/better suggestions for just a good working version of what it is.

Making it optional for all those extra's, sure, then it's their own choice to take the risk.
There's really not any security risk, if there's not any IP authentication.
But yeah for sure, Facebook authentication etc would be a risk, but it's entirely up to the users themselves to do so. I might do it like, that you don't need an account to use the service, so it isn't mandatory, but as for long as it's in beta mode, it will be mandatory.

Getting caught for torrenting really depends on where you're from. I've torrented approximately up to 2-3 movies/series everyday for the past 6 years without any trouble.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
There's really not any security risk, if there's not any IP authentication.
But yeah for sure, Facebook authentication etc would be a risk, but it's entirely up to the users themselves to do so. I might do it like, that you don't need an account to use the service, so it isn't mandatory, but as for long as it's in beta mode, it will be mandatory.

Getting caught for torrenting really depends on where you're from. I've torrented approximately up to 2-3 movies/series everyday for the past 6 years without any trouble.
Even though you are not storing their IP's, they are still connecting with your service. So yes, there is a potential security risk. Authorities aren't stupid, if anything, they can surely track people down if they want. It's not hard either for them if they can sniff them about because they need to connect to a service.

But yes, as I said, you should make it mandatory in the end.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Even though you are not storing their IP's, they are still connecting with your service. So yes, there is a potential security risk. Authorities aren't stupid, if anything, they can surely track people down if they want. It's not hard either for them if they can sniff them about because they need to connect to a service.

But yes, as I said, you should make it mandatory in the end.
Preview of the progress so far:

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
PopcornTime doesn't make you register and saves all bookmarks and settings. But then, that's an actual application that runs on your PC so it is able to save configuration files on the device itself. I think with some hardware ID authentication/logging, registration would not be needed. I am just looking for some features in this that would make it better to use than the alternatives that currently exist.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
PopcornTime doesn't make you register and saves all bookmarks and settings. But then, that's an actual application that runs on your PC so it is able to save configuration files on the device itself. I think with some hardware ID authentication/logging, registration would not be needed. I am just looking for some features in this that would make it better to use than the alternatives that currently exist.
Yeah, that's what I've also thought about doing. But the thing about bookmarks being saved on your own device, means that if you need to use the application on someone else PC, then you haven't got your own bookmarks.
But yet again, I am probably just making it an option to register for better experience with the app.
And if it's possible to add a proxy connection between the WebTorrent service and your network, that could also be nice, since hidemyass offers a lot of free proxies.

#UPDATES
I think I've finally coded the best possible caching system for the app.

http.js

cache.js

As suggested by our fellow members, I'll code this app to be anonymous as possible, so no registration will be needed.

#UPDATES
Lately I've not been coding so much on this project, since I am quite confused on how to proceed with it, as I cannot really do the back-end properly without getting the front-end components done first.
So basically I've decided to code a carousel component for the home page, media suggestions and so on for a much better experience.
NP2sF71.png

Currently the carousel looks something like that, but of course I'd have to fix the transform so when the row of items end, it just can't continue scrolling like now, but it's gonna be quite difficult since I'd have to get the current size of the content element compared to the users screen, and from there count the amount of items inside the carousel that are currently not hidden, and which ones are left to be shown.

Incase anyone was wondering how the code looks, then this is the progress for now:

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
#BACK IN BUSINESS

After 5 months being away from this project, I've decided to come back hard! EZ
Everything will be rewritten in TypeScript for better maintainability and scalability.

New branch can be found at:
Design: webscrapped from

#UPDATES

• Every torrent provider now has dynamic endpoints, which means let's say, that in one country the torrent domain is blocked by your IPS, but in another country it's not, there's also the proxies in this domain list.
    That means it'll request the endpoints and race for the first one to successfully resolve and then create the provider from there to ensure the fastest response time.
  • Cache system has now been replaced with PouchDB, which will be wrapped around P2P so instead of every user should refetch the same torrents and cache it, it'll simply check the cloud for whether or not the torrent already exists to again get faster response time, because before you could wait approximately up to 10 minutes before everything had been fetched properly and the app was ready to be used (when not cached).
  • Unit testing using jest
  • ... and more to come

#UPDATES
Felt like using something else than React for a change.
Mostly because the TypeScript support isn't that great for the ecosystem.
So well I decided to go with Angular, and I'm actually quite enjoying it (except for the templating syntax)

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Oh so you can copy designs but I get bullied for it ;) You should provide a video of all the features in use sometime

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Oh so you can copy designs but I get bullied for it ;) You should provide a video of all the features in use sometime
Since I cant design and dont wanna pay for a open source project I might aswell use an existing.
You can use any design you want even if it's copyrighted by a company.
As long as you don't earn anything off and provide the copyrights, they can't sue you.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Since I cant design and dont wanna pay for a open source project I might aswell use an existing.
As long as you don't earn anything off and provide the copyrights, they can't sue you.

I wasn't saying you shouldn't do it, hence the winky face. I was just stating it due to backlash when I done it on my previous projects

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012

A lawsuit would be frivolous since there are no damages that can be inferred. They can still issue DMCA takedowns on it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
#UPDATES
- Routes are being lazy loaded to help speed up application start up.
- Entire main process is being refactored to use a similar DI architecture as Angular (just without modules hierarchy) with the help of
- Other than that torrent providers, tmdb provider, cache (is just being stored on disk for now) and a few other stuff have been improved and fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread