Do you use CSS Framework?

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Hello,
I am really getting into web development [mainly front-end] and am working hard on a portfolio website, I am coding it completely from scratch and plan on making it responsive as well. I have asked around on several forums if media queries is the best way to go about it and have been given quite a few replies of:

"Are you using framework such as bootstrap or foundation? It makes it sooooo much easier"

Doing a quick google search I found that there is growing debate on the topic of frameworks, people like them, people dislike them. All for their respected reasons which seem to make sense to me,
* you're websites look similar to others
* it saves time, thus allowing for a larger production rate of websites
* it adds bloat to your website
* People don't take you seriously when using frameworks
These are all points I've found while browsing Google for opinions and debates on framework.

Tell me what you think and... do you use framework? If yes, why? If no, why?

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
I use CSS frameworks usually for there global styles and grid system not much really for there componants. It makes your job easier and saves time, here are some pros for me
  • Responsive grid systems usually scale well on mobile devices
  • Saves time so I can worry about the overall product and not the grid system or typography
  • If I can't create something usually there is something already made that would work with the framework

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
I use CSS frameworks usually for there global styles and grid system not much really for there componants. It makes your job easier and saves time, here are some pros for me
  • Responsive grid systems usually scale well on mobile devices
  • Saves time so I can worry about the overall product and not the grid system or typography
  • If I can't create something usually there is something already made that would work with the framework
Seems similar to what I'd use it for. What framework do you prefer?

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Yes, I use because there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. Sure I could spend the time coding it from scratch, but there's really no reason to. People have put in tons of hours making all the components that go into frameworks like Bootstrap, Foundation, etc. and have made sure that it's compatible with most stuff.

As for your points:
  1. That's not true, unless you literally copy and paste the code, and call it a day. It's a framework for a reason, and it's meant for you to expand upon it with your own design.
  2. Correct, it'll save you time.
  3. Mmm, not really. Unless you're computer is literally a toaster and you're on a dial up connection from the 80's, it's not much of anything. Plus, the big frameworks are going to be as optimized as much as possible.
  4. No, unless you literally copy and paste the code, and make no design changes.
Also, you should indeed use media queries for creating a responsive website (whether you're coding from scratch or using a framework).

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Eh its hard for me to say.. I have nothing to say against frameworks but I tend to avoid them - when I have work to do, I'm told to stay away from any and do it all by scratch (which I prefer any way)
When I'm writing it all via scratch, I feel more in control and I know where everything is when I need it. However, frameworks are good for increasing the rate or production, which is why many developers use it on their scripts.

I used to use responsivegridsystem a lot to help make sites responsive but now I've turned to using my own grid system, purely because I found it easier to integrate in to my sites.

I guess there is no right or wrong here but I wouldn't get too comfy using frameworks, I've seen people who can make half decent sites using frameworks such as bootstrap, but all they're really doing in reality is doing a few cosmetic changes to override the bootstrap CSS.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Right, great replies guys. It has cleared a lot of things up for me.

I have just watched some videos on Bootstraps scaffolding grid system and Its easy to see why some developers choose it.
Eh its hard for me to say.. I have nothing to say against frameworks but I tend to avoid them - when I have work to do, I'm told to stay away from any and do it all by scratch (which I prefer any way)
When I'm writing it all via scratch, I feel more in control and I know where everything is when I need it. However, frameworks are good for increasing the rate or production, which is why many developers use it on their scripts.

I used to use responsivegridsystem a lot to help make sites responsive but now I've turned to using my own grid system, purely because I found it easier to integrate in to my sites.

I guess there is no right or wrong here but I wouldn't get too comfy using frameworks, I've seen people who can make half decent sites using frameworks such as bootstrap, but all they're really doing in reality is doing a few cosmetic changes to override the bootstrap CSS.
What sort of grid system? I believe Bootstrap uses a 12 column sort of thing? It's still very new to me so excuse my poor knowledge on the matter.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Right, great replies guys. It has cleared a lot of things up for me.

I have just watched some videos on Bootstraps scaffolding grid system and Its easy to see why some developers choose it.

What sort of grid system? I believe Bootstrap uses a 12 column sort of thing? It's still very new to me so excuse my poor knowledge on the matter.

I used to use this: - this is purely a grid system and you use the snippets that apply to you. Basically just add it to your CSS, no extra files needed (unless you choose to). However, in the long run I found it easier to create my own. Personal preferences.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
I used to use this: - this is purely a grid system and you use the snippets that apply to you. Basically just add it to your CSS, no extra files needed (unless you choose to). However, in the long run I found it easier to create my own. Personal preferences.
Thanks, I'll look into it. The only reason to why I'd use a framework is for the responsive side of things, I have no issues with doing the rest myself.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I often have a lot of problems personally with making things responsive. I wish I could make it responsive myself with my own grid, but I can't. Hence indeed, I also use Bootstrap. And I have to say, I love the bootstrap documentation and their framework.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks, I'll look into it. The only reason to why I'd use a framework is for the responsive side of things, I have no issues with doing the rest myself.
Yeah them I think the link I left would be lightest way of going about it - it so gives you the media queries so you can play around with them and add your own elements to them, all helps you learn I guess. Best of luck with it mayn! :)

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah them I think the link I left would be lightest way of going about it - it so gives you the media queries so you can play around with them and add your own elements to them, all helps you learn I guess. Best of luck with it mayn! :)
Thank you very much :) I'll look into it. I'd way rather code it my self but if I cannot figure it out I'll look into bootstrap I suppose.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
@Sysode
Uhm, Is there any where where it teaches you how to use it? I am sort of confused.... or is what is on the website it?

Users who are viewing this thread