Do you think there will be a new OS in the future?

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
Possibly but I don't think any time soon. I believe Microsoft are planning on sticking with Windows 10 for a long time, they stated this somewhere previously and that they would constantly just update this specific OS rather than create a new one.

There has been small OS's released e.g. steamOS, chromeOS but these aren't really "big" plus they are just modified versions of the Linux kernel.

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
Possibly but I don't think any time soon. I believe Microsoft are planning on sticking with Windows 10 for a long time, they stated this somewhere previously and that they would constantly just update this specific OS rather than create a new one.

There has been small OS's released e.g. steamOS, chromeOS but these aren't really "big" plus they are just modified versions of the Linux kernel.
I would count chromeOS as it is gaining market share even if it is under 1% loll

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Perhaps in the future they'll be a new linux distro that everyone loves and is revolutionary. Windows, though, will stay windows 10 + updates untill it's dead, i think.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
I would count chromeOS as it is gaining market share even if it is under 1% loll
Meh, the major ones are Windows, Linux, OSX. There isn't much support for the remainders in terms of software etc.

Perhaps in the future they'll be a new linux distro that everyone loves and is revolutionary. Windows, though, will stay windows 10 + updates untill it's dead, i think.
There's always new Linux distributions being released + there are many popular ones already.

These aren't new operating systems they all use the same operating system, just modified versions of Linux...

Emily

Jan 30, 2016
Meh, the major ones are Windows, Linux, OSX. There isn't much support for the remainders in terms of software etc.

There's always new Linux distributions being released + there are many popular ones already.

These aren't new operating systems they all use the same operating system, just modified versions of Linux...
Exactly, i'm talking about a brand new overhaul, no modified linux, nothing like that, like how they started windows from scratch, I wonder in if say.. 15 years? Another big one will come out?

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013

Ah yeah, but what if there's a distro that suddenly supports directx and it's as good at gaming as windows? pece windows sup linux

Exactly, i'm talking about a brand new overhaul, no modified linux, nothing like that, like how they started windows from scratch, I wonder in if say.. 15 years? Another big one will come out?
It would be cool to see a new "fresh" OS come out someday

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
As for the actual topic of this thread, Windows seems to make a new OS every three to five years but I hope they don't and actually work on / improve Windows 10

I doubt any OS will overtake Windows, at least not for a long time

Last edited by a moderator:

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
Do you think there will be another big OS released like Windows?
ChromeOS or another web based operating system the future is the cloud baby
I doubt Linux will ever be the top Operating System there is to much changing all the time.

I don't see why people should reinvent the wheel, the current ones now do the jobs quite well.
To make that wheel better duhh

As for the actual topic of this thread, Windows seems to make a new OS every three to five years but I hope they don't and actually work on / improve Windows 10

I doubt any OS will overtake Windows, at least not for a long time
With new devices coming out and the arm architecture getter better every generation there is a chance that windows might be overtaken maybe by OSX or some Linux based operating system like ChromeOS for examole, if they don't take these changes seriously
Thread cleaned, please stay on topic.
PonyOS is the FUTURE

Feb 10, 2016
I think that we won't se much more from Microsoft, instead they will update Windows 10 as someone abow said. Linux might just keep coming with more pentesting.

Users who are viewing this thread