Cyclone - HTML5 Engine [TypeScript, Phaser, React, SocketIO, MultiDB]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laynester

a bad bitch
Nov 7, 2018
Can't deny the possibility, but can deny it actually happening tho, the rest will leave it for you to decide.

no offence, but you came out of no where, no rep to back you up. so who knows what you’re capable of.. literally no one knows you for anything other than cyclone.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Seems like you only comment on this thread whenever you feel like there is a chance to instigate. If you only have allegations to make rather than giving suggestions or providing feedback about Cyclone, then perhaps you should reconsider saying anything at all. This applies to anyone else.
How can one give feedback when there's nothing to give feedback on besides the contradictions already stated?
No public demo, no code snippets, literally nothing at all except screenshots.
Post automatically merged:

I'm curious what is going to be reverse engineered when its obfuscated and then compiled. Good luck.
False, it's transpiled then obfuscated :)

Last edited:

LaPatron

Smile, because it confuses people.
Nov 23, 2017
no offence, but you came out of no where, no rep to back you up. so who knows what you’re capable of.. literally no one knows you for anything other than cyclone.

Yet, you could believe someone who made their Devbest account less than 12 hours ago? Makes sense. And also that's my other point, came out of no where, got no rep and here I am accepted in to Cyclone, proves that anyone can infact join :) and all I had to do was work hard and not leak, not much to ask now is it?

How can one give feedback when there's nothing to give feedback on besides the contradictions already stated?
No public demo, no code snippets, literally nothing at all except screenshots.
Post automatically merged:

False, it's transpiled then obfuscated :)

There is a demo available of Bobba available at for a short while, although this is now slightly outdated

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Yet, you could believe someone who made their Devbest account less than 12 hours ago? Makes sense. And also that's my other point, came out of no where, got no rep and here I am accepted in to Cyclone, proves that anyone can infact join :) and all I had to do was work hard and not leak, not much to ask now is it?

There is a demo available of Bobba available at for a short while, although this is now slightly outdated
Suggestion:
Use IPFS (on Infura) to serve your static assets such as images for clothing, furni, config files and w/e.
You'll save tons of money on traffic in the end.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
If it's gonna be closed source why even make an announcement about it? To make people excited for something they won't be able to use? No one trusts strangers. @GizmoHabbobba has a point we are all strangers here. If you want Developers to actually use your project as an alternative you should make it open source so that anyone can review it and maybe even improve it to make it a better project. @EZC that's a bold statement that you are making. TheGeneral wanted everyone to believe Arcturus is one of the best but after it became open-source we all saw how shit it is. If people can't see the source then you can't just tell everyone how good your project is by just showing the features you've coded.

Platinum

Hello!
Sep 2, 2012
If it's gonna be closed source why even make an announcement about it? To make people excited for something they won't be able to use? No one trusts strangers. @GizmoHabbobba has a point we are all strangers here. If you want Developers to actually use your project as an alternative you should make it open source so that anyone can review it and maybe even improve it to make it a better project. @EZC that's a bold statement that you are making. TheGeneral wanted everyone to believe Arcturus is one of the best but after it became open-source we all saw how shit it is. If people can't see the source then you can't just tell everyone how good your project is by just showing the features you've coded.
Bottom line, don't trust it? Don't use it, we're not begging you to.
I beg for people to ACTUALLY read the entirety of this thread before they comment. It’s a constant cycle of repetitiveness, people are saying the same things over and over again which we have already responded to. If anyone says anything remotely similar to this again then just know you will be disregarded.

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
Of course, my post gets deleted for stating hard truths. I'll repost with some redactions for Wess

I'd recommend taking little to no notice of anything posted on DevBest and just continue with your development - very few people who are commenting have any real interest in the project, most aren't even interested in retros anymore. The forum has many people who no longer play habbo and have nothing positive to say about any developments. Yes, being closed source is probably going to be a negative in the long term but for the here and now while there's a chance it'll never even reach production, I've no idea why people care.

tl;dr Ignore this thread and continue your development you'll save yourself a lot of time and energy.

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
Out of curiosity, what are you aiming to achieve by keeping it closed source? I'm guessing you're going to be selling it in some way? If that's the case, just be honest about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Platinum

Hello!
Sep 2, 2012
Out of curiosity, what are you aiming to achieve by keeping it closed source? I'm guessing you're going to be selling it in some way? If that's the case, just be honest about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
eK63XGy.png

Most of you may be aware of the general vote we had amongst the Cyclone Team, but for those who did not know about this, then we would like to remind them that on the 15th of July, 2019, we had a vote to determine the future of Cyclone whether if it would be an open sourced project or closed. From 17 members beyond Quality Assurance to Maintainers, 11 of them decided to vote for closed source, whereas only 4 voted for open. 2 people did not vote. The figures resulted the final decision to make Cyclone officially closed source.

m5ivXS6.png

The purpose of the vote was to find out how the majority of the Cyclone team felt about the project and the contributions put towards it, and whether if they preferred closed or open, so therefor a majority decision was made regarding the Cyclone project. We would also like to take this opportunity to make it apparent that this does not mean that people will have no ability to make certain amendments and customisations, but instead they will be allowed to modify such things as the UI components, stylisation, format and much more.

Frank_111.gif

Please make sure that you look forward to more updates from the Cyclone team, it would be much appreciated if you could share our progression and make this project apparent to as many people as possible. We would like to thank everyone for their continuous support towards our project- it is always appreciated that we have a lot of support and it is quite unfortunate that we cannot thank you all individually, but we promise that we have the long list of people in mind.

8IWHCh6.png

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
This doesn't answer the why, only the what

Did you not gather feedback or have a discussion on the reasons for people's decisions? That's what I'm curious about. Closed source is normally chosen when you aim to make money off of something.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
This doesn't answer the why, only the what

Did you not gather feedback or have a discussion on the reasons for people's decisions? That's what I'm curious about. Closed source is normally chosen when you aim to make money off of something.
Why is because they voted for it and majority ruled in favor of it being closed source.

Not sure why so many are upset about not being able to see code on a project they are not contributing to. There are times when open source makes sense and times when it doesn't. Having this project closed source doesn't affect any single person who is complaining about that decision.

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
Why is because they voted for it and majority ruled in favor of it being closed source.

Not sure why so many are upset about not being able to see code on a project they are not contributing to. There are times when open source makes sense and times when it doesn't. Having this project closed source doesn't affect any single person who is complaining about that decision.
Because they're hyping up this huge project but locking everyone out. I'd be very interested to see how they're doing what they're doing and perhaps contributing given the uncertain future of Flash. I'm not going to support a closed source project though. When this is ready, there will be money changing hands 100%.

Ecko

Nov 25, 2012
Because they're hyping up this huge project but locking everyone out. I'd be very interested to see how they're doing what they're doing and perhaps contributing given the uncertain future of Flash. I'm not going to support a closed source project though. When this is ready, there will be money changing hands 100%.
All they've done is post updates in this thread, others have hyped it up.

You support closed source projects all the time without realizing it. There's nothing wrong with that.

Who cares if they want to make money off the code they wrote?

LaPatron

Smile, because it confuses people.
Nov 23, 2017

We’ve made it clear time and time again that it won’t cost money to use Cyclone in many posts previously.

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
Different perspectives - we'll see what happens :)

Yet to hear a reason for actually going closed source - I'm just interested on people's reasoning or motives for voting in the way they did.

It's not really comparable to Google or YouTube - they're not distributed for use by others. They host and make money from their services.

Ecko

Nov 25, 2012
Different perspectives - we'll see what happens :)

Yet to hear a reason for actually going closed source - I'm just interested on people's reasoning or motives for voting in the way they did.

It's not really comparable to Google or YouTube - they're not distributed for use by others. They host and make money from their services.
They gave a reason. They made a vote because they believe those who contribute to the project should have their say. Do you want them to go inquire each person who voted a specific way to give their specific reasoning? Or is being reasonable a bit too difficult here?

Google did not make money from their search engine at first. Why was it not open source? YouTube did not make money at first. Why was it not open source?

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
They gave a reason. They made a vote because they believe those who contribute to the project should have their say. Do you want them to go inquire each person who voted a specific way to give their specific reasoning? Or is being reasonable a bit too difficult here?

Google did not make money from their search engine at first. Why was it not open source? YouTube did not make money at first. Why was it not open source?
You can do that while open source.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who voted, yeah.

Regardless of Google making money (don't know if that's true), they were still private services.

Ecko

Nov 25, 2012
You can do that while open source.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who voted, yeah.

Regardless of Google making money (don't know if that's true), they were still private services.
They asked those who were contributing to the project what route they wanted to take. Not sure what that has to do with the statement 'you can do that while open source'.

A search engine that is available for public consumption without any costs involved is not a private service.

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
They asked those who were contributing to the project what route they wanted to take. Not sure what that has to do with the statement 'you can do that while open source'.

A search engine that is available for public consumption without any costs involved is not a private service.
I misunderstood, I assumed you meant they wanted to go closed source so only the contributors have any say in the project.

And yes it is a private service run by a private company..

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
So as we normally don't allow closed source projects within the development section, and this has been a discussion within the staff team from the start if we should make an exception or not for this development thread, we also put it up for a vote within the entire staff team. To clarify, this were the options for the staff team:

1. Close thread
2. Adjust section rules and allow closed source
3. Only allow this closed source project (Cyclone)

With a majority voting for 1, I'll hereby close this thread for as long as it is closed source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread