Cyclone - HTML5 Engine [TypeScript, Phaser, React, SocketIO, MultiDB]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum

Hello!
Sep 2, 2012
eK63XGy.png

Most of you may be aware of the general vote we had amongst the Cyclone Team, but for those who did not know about this, then we would like to remind them that on the 15th of July, 2019, we had a vote to determine the future of Cyclone whether if it would be an open sourced project or closed. From 17 members beyond Quality Assurance to Maintainers, 11 of them decided to vote for closed source, whereas only 4 voted for open. 2 people did not vote. The figures resulted the final decision to make Cyclone officially closed source.

m5ivXS6.png

The purpose of the vote was to find out how the majority of the Cyclone team felt about the project and the contributions put towards it, and whether if they preferred closed or open, so therefor a majority decision was made regarding the Cyclone project. We would also like to take this opportunity to make it apparent that this does not mean that people will have no ability to make certain amendments and customisations, but instead they will be allowed to modify such things as the UI components, stylisation, format and much more.

Frank_111.gif

Please make sure that you look forward to more updates from the Cyclone team, it would be much appreciated if you could share our progression and make this project apparent to as many people as possible. We would like to thank everyone for their continuous support towards our project- it is always appreciated that we have a lot of support and it is quite unfortunate that we cannot thank you all individually, but we promise that we have the long list of people in mind.

8IWHCh6.png

LaPatron

Smile, because it confuses people.
Nov 23, 2017
Some very important announcements!

We are proud to announce that Bobba.io will be merging into Cyclone, so this will be the 5th project to join us and it is very big news. Bobba is/was one of the most promising and up-to-date projects out there before we decided to merge together, collectively we are aware that we will make even further advancements so stay tuned for our progress and be sure to welcome Bobba openhearted into Cyclone.

Vr5vXoW.gif

Connecting the bridge between two flagship HTML5 projects...

You must be registered for see images attach

A live demo can be found at - This will be briefly available for demonstration purposes only.​

Many of you may ask the question, "Why are Cyclone and Bobba merging?" Well, it only makes sense to as we have a shared set of goals, values, ambitions and progress and therefor we deemed it odd to reinvent the same product twice, instead we chose to work together for twice the progress! On top of this, this merge allows us to use a plethora of resources which we can utilise to make our progress faster and build a better - more complete and stable product, as well as implement many features that were previously impossible. With Relevance joining our team now, it brings another experienced HTML5 developer with a fine-tuned project, right into the Cyclone eco-system.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to give Relevance (lTanqué) a warm welcome to not only to the project but to the Cyclone family. He's an amazing programmer from Colombia who inspired me and a lot of Cyclone developers to even begin working on the project and to now work with him is great honor for me personally and I'm really looking forward to this collaboration.

Since Bobba has initially been posted on a rival forum, here are a few details about Bobba:
  • Built-in Avatar Imager
  • Built-in Furniture Imager
  • Walking, dancing, sitting, waving, blinking and speaking animations
  • Furniture Interactions
  • Furniture States
  • Furniture Animations
  • Chat bubbles and scrolling
  • Own furnidata structure (using json).
  • Virtual camera (you can drag the room).
  • C# Server from scratch
  • Web Sockets

With the merge of Cyclone, some features are dropped i.e. a C# server is now replaced with Cyclone Server (written in TypeScript), Web Sockets are replaced with a battle-tested Socket.IO framework and many more backend changes made - making full use of the Cyclone's stack, which offers better performance, more stability, better documented and enterprise-grade.

What are the differences between Cyclone and Bobba?

At the core, Cyclone is built with TypeScript, React and Phaser whereas Bobba is built with TypeScript, React and Pixi

But feature wise, the differences largely exist on the server side, this includes but not limited to:
  • Authentication
  • Complete path finding
  • Room Chat event handlers
  • Messenger event handlers
  • Navigator event handlers
  • Inventory event handlers
Some client side features include:
  • Furniture Interaction
  • Loading States for Furniture
  • Destiny UI ( )
    • Hotel View
    • Navigator
  • Room Preview (for components such as Catalog and Inventory)
as well as access to many alternatives ways of tackling issues, meaning we have more varieties to pick and choose the right implementation from.

How will the merge proceed

For starters, Bobba will be stripped clean of its existing architecture - and features that are missing from Cyclone will be re implemented with Phaser, the new UI (Destiny) will be refactored to Cyclone's UI structure to allow for a "plug and play" experience, thereafter, server implementations will take a short while to be converted to TypeScript. We expect the process to take anywhere from a couple of days to a week and it will be handled by an existing Maintainer of Cyclone and Relevance at any given time; and because of our 24/7 schedule this process cannot be made any quicker or easier.

Frequently Asked Questions (Future Tense)

Q: Is Bobba a partner project or a complete merge?
A: It is a complete merge, with the maintainer of Bobba (Relevance) joining the Cyclone team as a Maintainer; We've even given Relevance a nickname: lTanqué

Q: Will Cyclone/Bobba remain open source?
A: No, it is now closed source - As no license was ever offered with Bobba's open source releases / repositories use of its sources are forbidden
In short, the only thing you can safely assume is that you have no rights to do anything at all with this code. In the particular case of GitHub, you can fork the repository and view the code, but nothing more.

Q: Will the Cyclone team have access to Bobba's sources?
A: Yes, the Cyclone team has complete access to Bobba's most up to date sources and access to many tools and resources that were not even published on the public GitHub repository

Q: Why can I not access Bobba.io anymore?
A: Bobba (now Cyclone) is transitioning into a closed source project and in an effort to protect the source it has been taken offline from the public

Q: Will the online demo be back?
A: Currently there are no plans to bring it back publicly, atleast for the foreseeable future until the project is complete

Last edited:

F.A.P

Jan 7, 2012
Some very important announcements!

We are proud to announce that Bobba.io will be merging into Cyclone, so this will be the 5th project to join us and it is very big news. Bobba is/was one of the most promising and up-to-date projects out there before we decided to merge together, collectively we are aware that we will make even further advancements so stay tuned for our progress and be sure to welcome Bobba openhearted into Cyclone.

Vr5vXoW.gif

Connecting the bridge between two flagship HTML5 projects...

A live demo can be found at - This will be briefly available for demonstration purposes only.​

Many of you may ask the question, "Why are Cyclone and Bobba merging?" Well, it only makes sense to as we have a shared set of goals, values, ambitions and progress and therefor we deemed it odd to reinvent the same product twice, instead we chose to work together for twice the progress! On top of this, this merge allows us to use a plethora of resources which we can utilise to make our progress faster and build a better - more complete and stable product, as well as implement many features that were previously impossible. With Relevance joining our team now, it brings another experienced HTML5 developer with a fine-tuned project, right into the Cyclone eco-system.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to give Relevance (lTanqué) a warm welcome to not only to the project but to the Cyclone family. He's an amazing programmer from Colombia who inspired me and a lot of Cyclone developers to even begin working on the project and to now work with him is great honor for me personally and I'm really looking forward to this collaboration.

Since Bobba has initially been posted on a rival forum, here are a few details about Bobba:
  • Built-in Avatar Imager
  • Built-in Furniture Imager
  • Walking, dancing, sitting, waving, blinking and speaking animations
  • Furniture Interactions
  • Furniture States
  • Furniture Animations
  • Chat bubbles and scrolling
  • Own furnidata structure (using json).
  • Virtual camera (you can drag the room).
  • C# Server from scratch
  • Web Sockets

With the merge of Cyclone, some features are dropped i.e. a C# server is now replaced with Cyclone Server (written in TypeScript), Web Sockets are replaced with a battle-tested Socket.IO framework and many more backend changes made - making full use of the Cyclone's stack, which offers better performance, more stability, better documented and enterprise-grade.

What are the differences between Cyclone and Bobba?

At the core, Cyclone is built with TypeScript, React and Phaser whereas Bobba is built with TypeScript, React and Pixi

But feature wise, the differences largely exist on the server side, this includes but not limited to:
  • Authentication
  • Complete path finding
  • Room Chat event handlers
  • Messenger event handlers
  • Navigator event handlers
  • Inventory event handlers
Some client side features include:
  • Furniture Interaction
  • Loading States for Furniture
  • Destiny UI ( )
    • Hotel View
    • Navigator
  • Room Preview (for components such as Catalog and Inventory)
as well as access to many alternatives ways of tackling issues, meaning we have more varieties to pick and choose the right implementation from.

How will the merge proceed

For starters, Bobba will be stripped clean of its existing architecture - and features that are missing from Cyclone will be re implemented with Phaser, the new UI (Destiny) will be refactored to Cyclone's UI structure to allow for a "plug and play" experience, thereafter, server implementations will take a short while to be converted to TypeScript. We expect the process to take anywhere from a couple of days to a week and it will be handled by an existing Maintainer of Cyclone and Relevance at any given time; and because of our 24/7 schedule this process cannot be made any quicker or easier.

Frequently Asked Questions (Future Tense)

Q: Is Bobba a partner project or a complete merge?
A: It is a complete merge, with the maintainer of Bobba (Relevance) joining the Cyclone team as a Maintainer; We've even given Relevance a nickname: lTanqué

Q: Will Cyclone/Bobba remain open source?
A: No, it is now closed source - As no license was ever offered with Bobba's open source releases / repositories use of its sources are forbidden

Q: Will the Cyclone team have access to Bobba's sources?
A: Yes, the Cyclone team has complete access to Bobba's most up to date sources and access to many tools and resources that were not even published on the public GitHub repository

Q: Why can I not access Bobba.io anymore?
A: Bobba (now Cyclone) is transitioning into a closed source project and in an effort to protect the source it has been taken offline from the public

Q: Will the online demo be back?
A: Currently there are no plans to bring it back publicly, atleast for the foreseeable future until the project is complete

This is Amazing! Please we need more people like you in this community...

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Nice to see another team join your project

Also I noticed something interesting with the bobba.io link

"WebGL unsupported in this browser, use "pixi.js-legacy" for fallback canvas2d support."

Chromium version:
Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Seems chromium doesn't support webgl by default, weird.

Works with firefox though.

Killuaryuk

Nov 11, 2015
pity all those beautiful projects become closed source, pity they are not customizable and nobody can give a distinctive touch or add nice features, I'm sorry because all these close source projects in the long run die... I hope they become open source so as to make a contribution to the community.

Bobba.io
on mac with chrome "WebGL unsupported in this browser, use "pixi.js-legacy" for fallback canvas2d support."

GenSensei

Sep 19, 2017
i still don't understand why you made it closed source, i know it's a choice but it's pity for the developers which are interested in your project.
btw, great project and good work

Platinum

Hello!
Sep 2, 2012
Pity they are not customisable and nobody can give a distinctive touch or add nice features, I'm sorry because all these close source projects in the long run die...

We would also like to take this opportunity to make it apparent that this does not mean that people will have no ability to make certain amendments and customisations, but instead they will be allowed to modify such things as the UI components, stylisation, format and much more.

Kinda frustrated that Cyclone is consolidating other developers and monopolising the scene, to be honest. I would be less frustrated if this project was open source.

Developers and other projects have a choice whether if they want to join Cyclone or not, we will always fully support other Habbo HTML5 projects even if they reject becoming a part of this project.
I still don't understand why you made it closed source, I know it's a choice but it's pity for the developers which are interested in your project.

Btw, great project and good work!
If there are any developers interested in Cyclone then they have the choice to contact us for further information whether if they want to get involved or not.

Thank you.

Laynester

a bad bitch
Nov 7, 2018
Developers and other projects have a choice whether if they want to join Cyclone or not, we will always fully support other Habbo HTML5 projects even if they reject becoming a part of this project.

If there are any developers interested in Cyclone then they have the choice to contact us for further information whether if they want to get involved or not.

Thank you.

i was interested but was immediately untrusted as i am a moderator at krews.. shame

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
I really don't understand why it being closed source at this time is a problem, no ones using it on a production server, anyone who wants to contribute can apply and be given the opportunity to, they aren't bribing developers to join them and not do anything else - seems people just want their source :cool:

Good luck with the project.

Platinum

Hello!
Sep 2, 2012
i was interested but was immediately untrusted as i am a moderator at krews.. shame
You were a member of our team for quite some time even whilst being a moderator at “Krews”, and you decided to leave on your own terms. We did not remove you, therefor your statement makes little to no sense.
I really don't understand why it being closed source at this time is a problem, no ones using it on a production server, anyone who wants to contribute can apply and be given the opportunity to, they aren't bribing developers to join them and not do anything else - seems people just want their source :cool:

Good luck with the project.

Thank you for being one of the very few people who actually understands! :D

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
You were a member of our team for quite some time even whilst being a moderator at “Krews”, and you decided to leave on your own terms. We did not remove you, therefor your statement makes little to no sense.

Thank you for being one of the very few people who actually understands! :D
Understanding is a big word..
Security is an issue because it's close sourced.
Being ignorant and thinking it's coded right etc is just plain wrong because there's no external viewers to give an opinion on it.
There's a reason every big tool available is open source :)
You can still distribute software open source and earn money off it.
Look at Gitlab for example, their entire service is open spurce and yet they earn money.
Heard of licensing?
Legally they can't even gain money off it, since it'll be copyright infringement, so they'll just lose a lawsuit lol, so what's the point of it even being close sourced?
Afraid people will look at the code and give an opinion? ?
Sorry, but I don't believe shit until it's proven ?‍♂️

Last edited:

Platinum

Hello!
Sep 2, 2012
Being ignorant and thinking it's coded right etc is just plain wrong because there's no external viewers to give an opinion on it.
Look at Gitlab for example, their entire service is open spurce and yet they earn money.
Heard of licensing?
Legally they can't even gain money off it, since it'll be copyright infringement, so they'll just lose a lawsuit lol, so what's the point of it even being close sourced?

When did we ever say that we will be making money off of this project? We have more than enough funds to keep the project running.

You should pay attention to what @Haid said, I have a feeling it might apply to you.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
When did we ever say that we will be making money off of this project? We have more than enough funds to keep the project running.

You should pay attention to what @Haid said, I have a feeling it might apply to you.
Mate, that's the exact reason why it should be open sourced, because NOBODY is using it in production.
When you make something open source, mostly all security & performance issues are being recognized, what so ever.
And the fact you don't make money off it AND that you get funds, is just yet another curious thing towards it not being open sourced lol.
Who would want to "fund" a project which they haven't looked at? This is basically stealing money because the founders hope of gaining something off it.
You do know how funding works, right? Because it doesn't sound like it.
OpenCollective exists and various other funding sites for open source projects.
Sorry, but this is pure BULLSHIT from a logical POV.
Y'all don't know how the software industry functions obviously.
You just want to claim this project as yours, and I do understand why because you've created it, but that's the reason why you don't want it open sourced, because when you do that, you wouldn't exactly OWN it, instead the users would.

Last edited:

LaPatron

Smile, because it confuses people.
Nov 23, 2017

This would be true, if its coded by 1 or 2 people, however we have such a large team with a vast amount of experience in various fields not the case, and Bobba used to be Open Source, not one contribution was made to it, or pointed out issues about performance, security or anything so from past experience we can safely assume that's not the case.

Heard of licensing?

This is very true, Gitlab is a success no one is going to deny this, but you are also aware this is not a commercial project to be sold / licensed for a fee. Also its naive to expect people to uphold licensing where they do not care about copyright violations.

As mentioned, we don't intend to make money off of it, and there's many developers involved so even if one of us fail to recognise an issue its pretty likely that another will, and for reference we currently have 8 people who work on the project with access to the full source code. And we're not forcing you to use it, don't like it? Don't use it.

Afraid people will take the source and remove credits, make 2 edits and be sold under a rename - atleast that's the biggest concern with alot of the maintainers

Mate, that's the exact reason why it should be open sourced, because NOBODY is using it in production.

Not really, its no near where complete, let alone production ready, there is no release for it to be used in production, we're still in the development phase.

When you make something open source, mostly all security & performance issues are being recognized, what so ever.
And the fact you don't make money off it AND that you get funds, is just yet another curious thing towards it not being open sourced lol.
Who would want to "fund" a project which they haven't looked at? This is basically stealing money because the founders hope of gaining something off it.
You do know how funding works, right? Because it doesn't sound like it.

It's easy to fund a project when it costs little to nothing for 2 servers. We never asked anyone to fund it, we never asked for any money whatsoever. However as a counter point you can look the at likes of Phoenix, which was very popular back in the day where people did not have a chance to look at the source, but as for us, its free of charge.

You just want to claim this project as yours, and I do understand why because you've created it, but that's the reason why you don't want it open sourced, because when you do that, you wouldn't exactly OWN it, instead the users would.

True, however we have many developers who have spent alot of their time and effort on the project, and so we've put it to a vote on our Discord (where the votes are public), and Close Source came out on top, it wasn't the decision of one or two people, various people voted Close Source for various reasons, you'd have to contact each of individuals to find out why.

Also, I believe this is you on about your HTML5 project,

Hope that clears it up.

Last edited:

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
This would be true, if its coded by 1 or 2 people, however we have such a large team with a vast amount of experience in various fields, and Bobba used to be Open Source, not one contribution was made to it, or pointed out issues about performance, security or anything so from past experience we can safely assume that's not the case.

This is very true, Gitlab is a success no one is going to deny this, but you are also aware this is not a commercial project to be sold / licensed for a fee. Also its naive to expect to people uphold licensing where they do not care about copyright violations.

As mentioned, we don't intend to make money off of it, and as mentioned there's many developers involved so even if one of us fail to recognise an issue its pretty likely that another will, and for reference we currently have 8 people who work on the project with access to the full source code. And we're not forcing you to use it, don't like it? Don't use it.

Afraid people will take the source and remove credits, make 2 edits and be sold under a rename - atleast that's the biggest concern with alot of the maintainers

Not really, its no where complete, let alone production ready, there is no release for it to be used in production, we're still in the development phase.

It's easy to fund a project when it costs little to nothing for 2 servers. We never asked anyone to fund it, we never asked for any money whatsoever. However as a counter point you can look the likes of Phoenix, which was very popular back in the day where people did not have a chance to look at the source, but as for us, its free of charge.

True, however we have many developers who have spent alot of their time and effort on the project, and so we've put it to a vote on our Discord (where the votes are public), and Close Source came out on top, it wasn't the decision of one or two people, various people voted Close Source for various reasons, you'd have to contact each of individuals to find out why.

Hope that clears it up.
It's Habbo so I understand, but if it wasn't I wouldn't.
Example: Jetbrains might have closed sourced tools, but they're a trust worthy company with insane software, so that basically makes up for the subscriptions you pay for.

Give me permission and I'll happily review PR's ;)
All I noticed which pissed me off the most was the "omg our project has the best looking code etc and is well done" but there's really no proof or anyone to actually agree besides the project owners lol.
Just looking at the CMS I noticed every file contains vary breaches of code styles and best practices that are forced upon, so it's pretty ironic.
If you intend to use libraries and tools, at least use them properly.
Post automatically merged:

It's Habbo so I understand, but if it wasn't I wouldn't.
Example: Jetbrains might have closed sourced tools, but they're a trust worthy company with insane software, so that basically makes up for the subscriptions you pay for.

Give me permission and I'll happily review PR's ;)
All I noticed which pissed me off the most was the "omg our project has the best looking code etc and is well done" but there's really no proof or anyone to actually agree besides the project owners lol.
Just looking at the CMS I noticed every file contains vary breaches of code styles and best practices that are forced upon, so it's pretty ironic.
If you intend to use libraries and tools, at least use them properly.
Another thing:
If you do not intend to gain money off this project by utilizing it privately as a single monopoly game then what is the purpose? You can't distribute it as public usage since it's a server/front end project which requires access to the code no matter what.
Idk man this project is weird LOL
It's being funded yet it cannot be used commercially because there's no public license or restricted usage whatsoever to anyone whose not a project owner and then there's the copyright infringement issues aswell.
Are people in the Habbo community lacking that much brain cells or what? :confused:
Oh God..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread