Cryptocurrency Cryptocurrency and Why I Worry That It Could Hurt the Economy

Mikee

Jul 8, 2017
With all of this hype surrounding cryptocurrency is begs to put into question as to what a world would look like if cryptocurrency really does replace fiat money. Although the growth of crypto is booming in its markets, it still seems like a far stretch to say that it’ll replace fiat anytime soon. Nevertheless, I believe that it’s important that we examine the potential effects of crypto on our economic world.

Most (if not all) cryptocurrencies work by having a set capital limit on the circulation of the coin. Whether that be Bitcoin, Etherum, Ripple, or Doge coin, there is a set limit. In relation, this is how all standard since governing bodies like the federal reserve work, as they also put (mostly try) a limit on how much fiat money should circulate. That’s all fine and dandy, but I think an important point we’re missing is that even though the fed puts a limit on the amount of fiat produced, the amount of capital that the economy has grows naturally everyday !

This process is known as Fractional Reserve Banking, and it is the backbone of well, just about any economy that we have today. How fractional banking works is actually quite simple. Lets say Bob walks into his local bank with $1000 in his pocket to deposit into his account. The bank now has a $1000 liability in their book (of Bob’s cash). Lets also assume that monetary policy has stated that all banks must have a 10% reserve requirement. Accordingly, the bank must have at all times 10% of Bob’s money at their disposal ($100). The other $900 can be used to do as they wish, which they usually loan with, for the obvious reason so they can earn interest on that Loan.

They then loan the $900 to Lisa. Now lets stop for a moment and reflect. The economy at this point has grown by $900. But how you ask, well Bob has $1000 and Lisa now has $900 ! So our simplified economy is worth $1900 !

Lets take this one step further, Lisa then depoists her $900 in her bank, which also has a 10% reserve requirement. The bank as a result must hold at all times $90, and can lend out $810, which it does to Joe. Reflection: At this point the economy is now worth $1000 + $900 + $810 = $2710

In summary, the multiplier affect states that the economy will be worth $1000 * (1/0.1)

$10’000 as a result of fractional reserve banking. Crazy huh, Bob’s simple $1000 grew the economy by $9000.

Now lets take a moment and relate back to crypto. If one of crypto’s objectives is to stop the usage of banks then we will inadvertently (in theory) hurt the economy. The result of this unidentified growth will hurt the economy. With less capital in the economy the potential output curve
US%20Actual%20and%20Potential%20Output.png

which has grown every single year, could possibly be negatively impacted.

Why? Because the potential output curve (GDP in other words (well kinda, but that’s a higher level topic)) only grows as a result of a growth in Capital (which wont occur in a crypto-dominated world – since fractional reserve banking won’t exist) and productivity (and productivity grows because of investment, and labour – which all needs capital).

So in sum, the result might be well, a stagnated economy.

These are just my thoughts, feel free to berate me, or disagree !

Last edited:

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Not having read the entire post yet, I will still be writing my comment about this.
It might be hurting the controlled economy.
Is cryptocurrency controlled by any other than the people using it? No. Is any other "real" currency controlled? Yes.
Cryptocurrency might hurt the economy in many ways, but that's no wonder when the economy is controlled by the government and banks.
By logic you could indeed just print out more money and continuously do that, which you wouldn't be able to do with i.e BCH hence why cryptocurrency has a real value.
In my opinion cryptocurrency is one of the few ways to actually SAVE and establish a real economy that isn't controlled by any one else than the actual users.

Let's look at the fact how easy it is to do money laundering using crypto currency.
You can literally sell drugs online, get transferred crypto currency to your wallet and have a prepaid card, like something offered from and
So instead of having all your drug money in cash, you just have them all on a card and it's untraceable.
That's one of the few bad things about cryptocurrency, but isn't there bad things about everything?

Mikee

Jul 8, 2017
Not having read the entire post yet, I will still be writing my comment about this.
Is cryptocurrency controlled by any other than the people using it? No. Is any other "real" currency controlled? Yes.
Cryptocurrency might hurt the economy in many ways, but that's no wonder when the economy is controlled by the government and banks.
By logic you could indeed just print out more money and continuously do that, which you wouldn't be able to do with i.e BCH hence why cryptocurrency has a real value.
In my opinion cryptocurrency is one of the few ways to actually SAVE and establish a real economy that isn't controlled by any one else than the actual users.

Let's look at the fact how easy it is to do money laundering using crypto currency.
You can literally sell drugs online, get transferred crypto currency to your wallet and have a prepaid card, like something offered from and
So instead of having all your drug money in cash, you just have them all on a card and it's untraceable.
That's one of the few bad things about cryptocurrency, but isn't there bad things about everything?
Not to sound rude but my post was not about control of economy (autonomy) but it was about economic output. I am arguing that I believe that cryptocurrency could hurt economy output. Maybe I should've been more clear about that.

The population and growth of an economy has always been a result of investment and growth in productivity. And according to Keynesian economics the only way for that to happen is well through government investment. The only reason the economy survived the great depression and got out of it is because of government intervention. Things are more complex than they seem my friend, drugs are only one niche topic, and crypto may be great for that but most people want more than drugs. They want education, homes, jobs, and more goods and services, and they want an increase in those things, which I am arguing can't happen according to the current crypto model.

Last edited:

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011

A blockchain, by definition is hard to defraud simply because all transactions are publicly logged on an immutable ledger. You can launder with fiat so easily - criminals often use cash-only businesses to launder their crime money

Also, if you wanna be cynical about it all, the banking cartel's not gonna let some uppity hippy-esque crypto currency advocates replace an entire system that's been chugging along for hundreds of years

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
If one of crypto’s objectives is to stop the usage of banks then we will inadvertently (in theory) hurt the economy.
That's a big 'if' that I don't think has been stated as an objective for any of the major cryptocurrencies out there.

Mikee

Jul 8, 2017
That's a big 'if' that I don't think has been stated as an objective for any of the major cryptocurrencies out there.
You're definitely right, most of this was jut me spewing theory nonsense. But I have heard from too many of my friends who are holding crypto that they think its great because big banks are "corrupt" and it'll stop that corruption. The assumption they have is, crypto grows -> no need for banks. Which of course is nonsense, because America is financed by debt obligations.

I just simply felt like showing that IF that were the case, it would hurt the economy. That big if like you say, is of course not an objective, and was me just explaining why banks are good for one perspective of the many.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
You're definitely right, most of this was jut me spewing theory nonsense. But I have heard from too many of my friends who are holding crypto that they think its great because big banks are "corrupt" and it'll stop that corruption. The assumption they have is, crypto grows -> no need for banks. Which of course is nonsense, because America is financed by debt obligations.

I just simply felt like showing that IF that were the case, it would hurt the economy. That big if like you say, is of course not an objective, and was me just explaining why banks are good for one perspective of the many.
Well, this is all speculative but I do not see crypto hurting the economy in any kind of drastic fashion.

Sly

I don't break the rules I bend them.
Oct 28, 2016
USD is trying to bring cryptocurrency such as bitcoin to an end.

Users who are viewing this thread