Completely disable "Windows update" service in Windows 10

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Windows update is the main updating service for windows. In windows 10, it will download updates in the background automaticly then ask you to schedule a restart. I don't feel to good about that so I'm gonna disable the service completely untill i decide to turn it on and update my pc.
izYEsqs.png

Windows update:
Enables the detection, download, and installation of updates for Windows and other programs. If this service is disabled, users of this computer will not be able to use Windows Update or its automatic updating feature, and programs will not be able to use the Windows Update Agent (WUA) API.

It's really simple to disable windows update. Start by heading to your task manager and hit the "services" tab, and hit "open services".
9TJQD5m.png

Next search for the "Windows update" service in the service list.
dWU3bAI.png

Right-click the service, stop it if it's running and change the startup type from "manual" to "disabed". Hit apply and you should be good.
P1Kj0qV.png

Now that the service is completely disabled, it will never download anything in the background ever again.
YcJFFF6.png

Just remember that it is very important to update your PC time to time, I'd say for you to enable the update service once a week and check for updates just to be safe!
Hope this helped, cheers.

Heroes

Jan 12, 2011
1. You need the Windows updates because most of the updates are related to your Windows defender. And you need your Windows defender if for example you're going to download a program or file that may have a virus or a trojan in it. You're Windows Defender as well as you're firewall will block it and now you can't have that anymore because you don't have the latest updates from the Windows defender thus making your computer harmful for virusses and more!

But believe your own non-sense it's ok. Don't come cry here when you've fucked up because you surely will by disabling your Windows updates.

Last edited:

griimnak

Jul 20, 2013
1. You need the Windows updates because most of the updates are related to your Windows defender. And you need your Windows defender if for example you're going to download a program or file that may have a virus or a trojan in it. You're Windows Defender as well as you're firewall will block it and now you can't have that anymore because you don't have the latest updates from the Windows defender thus making your computer harmful for virusses and more!

But believe your own non-sense it's ok. Don't come cry here when you've fucked up because you surely will by disabling your Windows updates.
Just remember that it is very important to update your PC time to time, I'd say for you to enable the update service once a week and check for updates just to be safe!
Once a week you should enable it and check for updates because updates are important. The reason why i do this is because i don't want my ram spiking mid game when i'm playing a game. :rasta:

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Doesn't compensate for exploits, silly billy.

reads what i just wrote: i'm a cunt.
I'm sure that some elite hacker won't be stopped by the lack of a few windows updates seeing as there's many other, better ways of infiltrating some one's computer.

I've literally never updated windows 7, or windows 8/8.1 because I've pirated it and if I update it I tend to get the notification that it's not genuine, shouldn't it being pirated and not updated give me a virus? because it doesn't.

Heroes

Jan 12, 2011
@Macemore I've never been sure about things like that - I've been running Windows 8 for a few days now seeing a lot of updates regarding to my Windows defender thinking that it's important to install those because I don't want to get virusses on my computer or what not. So I've Always installed those but if you're saying that they are not really requires and that you don't need these updates than I might just not install them. If that's what I'm understanding correct me if I'm wrong.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
@Macemore I've never been sure about things like that - I've been running Windows 8 for a few days now seeing a lot of updates regarding to my Windows defender thinking that it's important to install those because I don't want to get virusses on my computer or what not. So I've Always installed those but if you're saying that they are not really requires and that you don't need these updates than I might just not install them. If that's what I'm understanding correct me if I'm wrong.
Nah what I'm saying is you can cut windows defender out of the program and substitute it with something that actually does it's job without installing other shit along with it. Think of windows like an adware company. Yes, they'll let you download that program for free, but you have to click "advanced" options to disable the installation of ask toolbar (this is an example). Windows disguises updates as one thing, and they might do what they say they do but they also install other stuff, like telemetry, you know, they key logging data scrubbing program Microsoft made for windows 10 that's put patched to 8 and 7 now. So the same problem with Windows 10 is now in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 because they disguised it as a few updates, actually 4-5 updates. So instead of removing a couple of "critical" updates, editing my registry and disabling certain windows services, I installed malware bytes and disabled windows update.

griimnak

Jul 20, 2013
Look man, aslong as you know what you're doing and you check for updates occasionaly you're fine. I highly doubt there's some pro hacker out there just waiting for you to miss out on one small update temporarily.

Users who are viewing this thread