Show DevBest Community Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
So for the past few years I've been working on some kind of administration panel for a in-game community. Most of the code is really, really horrible. And I mean really. Before I started working on it, some self-learned programmer worked on it. It's quite a mess. However, it works. It's been my "digital playground" for a while. Because I stopped, I decided to make it open-source.

ScreenShots
b7afb14ed31e890159012fc8662fe90f.png

b0899afd88c662d22453c1dcea45e305.png

For more information, read the README.

Last edited:

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
That .htaccess file :down:
Also require() is better suited for config file, and should use foreach to get all from a dir instead of hardcoding each one. Also hipchat can be very resource exhaustive

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
That .htaccess file :down:
Also require() is better suited for config file, and should use foreach to get all from a dir instead of hardcoding each one. Also hipchat can be very resource exhaustive
Yeah, like I said the code is really terrible. Don't even look in the includes folder/forum files. It's one big mess.

Didn't know about the require for config files, why's that?

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
Yeah, like I said the code is really terrible. Don't even look in the includes folder/forum files. It's one big mess.

Probably because if the config is missing with an include the application would continue, but with a require the application would throw a compilation error and come to an halt.

Also, you could use something like this for your classes:
PHP:
$c = glob($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] . '/_paneel/classes/*.class.php');
foreach ($c as $class){
    require $class;
}

Would like to see some screenshots of this :p

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012

This is typically how applications are setup, with needed files being required through something like config.php or common.php. It's considered good practice to do this then having it in index.php (better organization, less work in the long run - especially when working with something that is updated frequently). You want the index.php to be as small as possible and lightweight. Even though I hate WordPress because of how often stuff gets compromised on there, they had the right idea with having an index file that is only 418 bytes in size.

Probably because if the config is missing with an include the application would continue, but with a require the application would throw a compilation error and come to an halt.
No, in fact that's the reason why most use require() instead of include(). It's better to trigger an error than to miss one.
Also, you could use something like this for your classes:
PHP:
$c = glob($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] . '/_paneel/classes/*.class.php');
foreach ($c as $class){
    require $class;
}
That's literally what I told him.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Oh lol I thought the config was included with a require_once, and you adviced just to use require.

As for most of the other stuff - yeah I know best coding practices. Like I said multiple times, this code is one big mess due to different styles and practices from different people have been applied to it over years, without any major overhauls.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
This is typically how applications are setup, with needed files being required through something like config.php or common.php. It's considered good practice to do this then having it in index.php (better organization, less work in the long run - especially when working with something that is updated frequently). You want the index.php to be as small as possible and lightweight. Even though I hate WordPress because of how often stuff gets compromised on there, they had the right idea with having an index file that is only 418 bytes in size.

No, in fact that's the reason why most use require() instead of include(). It's better to trigger an error than to miss one.

That's literally what I told him.
Yes most major parts should be required e.g dependencies, config, etc, but include could still be used for small things which don't directly affect the functionality such as a basic HTML file

I was replying to his question which was a quote of your suggestions which is why I posted the foreach for the classes.

Jeffrey

Devbest Indian Tech Support
FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013

Wess, thank you for this panel... As a Habbotard, I run something like Imperial Corp #tbt ;) which has over 90,000 members and this has saved my life.

I am going to look at this panel and try to convert the whole system into english and possibly release for free...

Last edited:

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011

Wess, thank you for this panel... As a Habbotard, I run something like Imperial Corp #tbt ;) which has over 90,000 members and this has saved my life.

I am going to look at this panel and try to convert the whole system into english and possibly release for free...
If you need any help, let me know! I'll add the screenshots to the topic, if you have some more, I'll add them too.

Jeffrey

Devbest Indian Tech Support
FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013
If you need any help, let me know! I'll add the screenshots to the topic, if you have some more, I'll add them too.
Wessell this is very much like a portal on .com called portal.habbohia.com :D i love your site even more.

if anyone wants a demo its beta.fbihabbo.com :) im currently rewriting some code on a different url so we can have full english

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Wessell this is very much like a portal on .com called portal.habbohia.com :D i love your site even more.

if anyone wants a demo its beta.fbihabbo.com :) im currently rewriting some code on a different url so we can have full english
If you need any help, let me know!

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012

Are you able to provide demo credentials for the live demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread