Building a Gaming Computer

May 1, 2015
Hi,
This is my first time building a gaming computer and before i get started i need to know a few things.
I've watched several videos and just need a decent gaming computer to play some GTA 5 with quality game play.
Mainly, I want to play it for LSPDFR because it's honestly so sick, so that brings me to my first question as i don't have a lot of money to spend.

1) Can i use a old computer tower that works but is probably 10 years old? (I don't want to buy a computer case as that'll set me back about $70)
2) I've watched a few videos but what is everything that I will need? I currently have the following list of things i'd need , is there something i don't need or do need?

- Ram Sticks
- New CPU
- Graphics Card
- Hard Drive or SSD
- Power Supply (I probably need a new one, because it's probably not best to use the one that's already in it?
- Motherboard (Should i get a new one or use the existing one, because if i buy a new one might as well buy a computer case - which is what i don't want to do!)

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Menkz

Jul 9, 2010
I'd honestly just go for a completely new build - parts are better and some are cheaper than they were before (depending where you are)
You also need parts that are compatible with eachother (example, an AMD cpu won't work with an intel MoBo, and your power supply needs to be able to power everything without issues.

Reacon

Apr 17, 2019
I think the best solution is to buy a completely build, if you dont know much about hardware.

If you really want to build your own, i would suggest that you get inspiration from a webshop.
But i dont think you can get it cheaper for doing it yourself though. :)

May 1, 2015
I live in canada, I can purchase all the parts i need for $300 at my local computer store.
Offering me a virtual computer with enough specs to me is honestly useless, in the nicest way possible.
I can have a gaming computer that will last me for years meanwhile that website will only give me a server for a month.
Thanks anyways guys, I'll just suck it up and buy a computer case and build everything from scratch.

MrMoore

Jul 12, 2016
Hello,

If I was in your situation I'd get a new build. PC Building shouldn't be a worry, First thing to decide is whether you're going down the AMD Route or the Intel Route. the specs are relatively similar these days and both sides will run LSPDFR with no issues if spec'd correctly.

The first thing to do is use and build the machine you're interested in. using this you'll get the parts you want at the cheapest prices. as PCPartPicker checks a list of sites and gives you the part cheapest. the next thing I'd do is check you're building is within the budget. Personally, I'd get yourself an SSD as they're cheap AF and are very reliable.

If you're still not sure. spec it up on PCPartPicker and send over the link, I'll take a look and let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread