Brief Video Preview of iOS 4.2 for iPad: Multitasking, Unified Inbox, and AirPrinting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
AppAdvice posts a of the first beta version of iOS 4.2 for iPad, which was just a few hours ago. The primary feature shown off in the walkthrough is multitasking, which allows users to easily jump back and forth between applications. Also featured are the universal inbox for email and a brief view of the launch screen for Apple's Game Center service.

According to some notes accompanying the video, the iPad allows for users to view seven application in the multitasking tray in landscape mode and six apps in portrait mode. In addition, AirPlay can be activated directly from the Photos application, allowing users to stream their content to the forthcoming Apple TV revision.

Apple's new service, which currently requires interfacing with a Mac running the latest Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, is not addressed in the walkthrough.

Update: Engadget has of iOS 4.2 on the iPad, focusing on multitasking.

Apple Announces 'AirPrint' Wireless Printing for iOS Devices Coming in November
124909-ipad_airprint.jpg

Alongside today's of the first beta version of iOS 4.2, Apple issued a officially announcing the AirPrint feature that will allow iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches running iOS 4.2 to support wireless printing directly from the devices. HP will be the first to offer AirPrint compatibility with its ePrint line of printers. Apple today announced that it is releasing a beta version of its AirPrint wireless printing for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch to members of Apple's iOS developer program today, and that AirPrint will be included in the free iOS 4.2 software update in November. AirPrint automatically finds printers on local networks and can print text, photos and graphics to them wirelessly over Wi-Fi without the need to install drivers or download software. HP's existing and upcoming ePrint enabled printers will be the first to support printing direct from iOS devices.Apple's Phil Schiller notes that AirPrint will require no user configuration, no drivers, and no additional software, allowing users to simply tap to print photos and documents on compatible printers.

AirPrint will be compatible with the iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch second-generation and later, leaving out the iPhone 3G among iOS 4-compatible devices.

Source - MacRumors.com

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Looks cool and all, but I could never have such a restrictive device. I need something that allows me to do what I want with my device. But then again, the iPad does appeal to most people as it has email, news, Facebook, etc, and that's what the general population uses their computer (and internet) for.

Bazinga

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2010
The print feature would be nice on the iPod Touch, multi-tasking already works on that :)

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
As an iPad user this is a great update, it would be cool if you could make documents for free(You need to BUY the application) but yea, it will be awesome to print Screenshots and stuff, also @Kieren, this is almost as a computer, if not better with the thousands of good apps around, I mean, if you're a coder a computer will be kinda better, but still, the iPad has MSN, Facebook, Internet, 3G, it's not that small nor big, you have notepad, music, you really can carry your iPad wherever you are, it isn't as easy with a Laptop. Now, you will be able to print and multitask. Apple keeps updating and releasing new things, which is awesome. Technology is amazing. :)
I wonder where the technology will go in 10 years.

- Kryptos

P.S by Notepad I mean Notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread