Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam

Fly and mighty
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013

Does my banner url work?
P.S It's set like this because the image changes each time you reload the page.

@RastaLulz @Sledmore @Holmes

Last edited:

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
I think the reason it doesn't anymore is because FindRetros want to host all images themselves to not have slowdowns or anything on their pages.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I think the reason it doesn't anymore is because FindRetros want to host all images themselves to not have slowdowns or anything on their pages.
Might also be a reason, not sure. But looking at it from a security perspective, it would be unsafe as hell.

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
Might also be a reason, not sure. But looking at it from a security perspective, it would be unsafe as hell.
I mean "all" they can do is log requests. I guess you can also get a http authentication thing to come up and log that too.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
There's a few benefits to us hosting them:
- No broken/slow images, since we host them.
- You can't alter the image after you've uploaded it (e.g. setting a massive image, although could be remedied by CSS constraints).
- As mentioned above, you could use it to log requests on any page it's displayed on.

Hopefully one day I'll get around to adding online player count tracking, which would remedy one of the main reasons dynamic images were used.

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
There's a few benefits to us hosting them:
- No broken/slow images, since we host them.
- You can't alter the image after you've uploaded it (e.g. setting a massive image, although could be remedied by CSS constraints).
- As mentioned above, you could use it to log requests on any page it's displayed on.

Hopefully one day I'll get around to adding online player count tracking, which would remedy one of the main reasons dynamic images were used.
How do you plan on doing that exactly? Scraping their homepage every x minutes or

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
How do you plan on doing that exactly? Scraping their homepage every x minutes or
In the ServersGG (FindRetros) UI you'd specify a URL (on your server), which would implement some sort of JSON spec, which I'd request every X minutes.

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
In the UI you'd specify a URL, which would implement some sort of JSON spec, which I'd request every X minutes.
Sounds good. Wouldn't worry about the easy manipulations to online counts. No point when people can just change their homepages anyway

Liam

Fly and mighty
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
Could you not add a setting to use dynamic images then? It would have been a really cute idea to have our banner in a different colour each time you reload.

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
Could you not add a setting to use dynamic images then? It would have been a really cute idea to have our banner in a different colour each time you reload.
what do you mean? You want him to run your php lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread