Alex Morgan Joins Messi on FIFA 16 Cover

mariofransson

Aug 22, 2015
This is one of the worst shops I've ever seen. Alex looks like her head got glued on to her body and she's really fascinated by the back of Messi's head. At the same time Messi looks... IDK, befuddled? Also something in the background is exploding? This is pretty bad.

To be fair, Alex Morgan is one of the brightest young stars on the USWNT and even with her injury she still played very well despite failing to buy Fifa 16 coins. Just going by Twitter followers, Alex has at least 2 million and Carli only has 413 thousand. It's a marketing move, first and foremost.

She's the most well known because she's smoking hot. I have nothing against her using that to up her star power and become a bona fide celebrity, but I wish we could be comfortable with promoting the best female player out there rather than the prettiest. If I ever have a daughter, I hope she looks up to the player that tries the hardest and does the most to help her team rather than the one who has the most swimsuit photo shoots to her name.

She's one of the best female players in the world, and was a finalist for the world player of the year. It's not like they picked a bench player. If she wasn't fighting through injuries, she would have played even better during the world cup.
Wayne Rooney was on the cover for years and he wasn't nearly as good relative to the other men's players that could have been on there. Carli Lloyd had a great tourney but she's not indisputably the best women's player.

0QIOlqu.jpg

I think you've being kinda harsh. Shes well known because shes smoking hot, strike partner and semi-protege to the face of the sport, and put some very good performances on big stages. One below average world cup shouldn't take away from her perception as a player.

I'd say the superstar of this world cup was carli Lloyd. It's like the commissioner giving all Fifa coins to Gerrard and lampard when they haven't even played a game instead of naming the top scorer in the league to the team. This is a similar situation.

That's pretty specific which misses the point. Alex Morgan is a superstar of the USWNT. Her name carries a ton of weight. Sure, this was an underwhelming World Cup for her but that doesn't mean her brand is suddenly not there. Did Ronaldo's brand suffer from a poor showing at the Men's World Cup? No.

If you are looking to put a USWNT player on the cover of FIFA you put Alex Morgan on it because people will look at her and say "Woah you can play as the US Women?"

Would you really say that currently Abby Wambach is more popular than Alex Morgan? If I ask a casual soccer fan to name someone from the women's team, they'll name Wambach before Morgan?
Wambach is hugely accomplished and quite frankly I think Alex Morgan sucked during the world cup, but if you're marketing a game, Morgan is the obvious choice.

Users who are viewing this thread