A faulty Mechanic?

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
I recently bought a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel engine. I bought a Diesel because I own a Landscaping company and for those of you that are vehicle enthusiasts, you'd know that hauling with a gas engine is absolutely terrible for fuel mileage. I have a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 that I used to haul with - but I'd fill up my tank every 2-3 days which costs $130-$140 with the high gas prices we currently have in Canada. Anywho, I decided to buy a Diesel truck that needed some work which I'd do myself and I did fix it up. The only part I didn't fix myself (because of lack of knowledge) is the transmission which was slipping gears. So I took it to my so-called mechanic to replace it with a rebuilt transmission I bought. Keep in mind, the rebuilt transmission costed me $1800. He replaced it, no problem at all, replaced a few parts such as the U-Joint and Transmission Mounts. A day goes by of driving the 99' and I realize that transmission fluid is leaking out of the bottom, so I take it into my barn and put it up on ramps and come to find out that my transmission line are duct taped together to keep them in place. I remove the duct tape and come to realize that the line is actually snapped in two and was being held together. So at this point, I am ragging, because after checking my fluid level, I realize that it's way down. To clarify, no - the transmission lines were not like this before because I bought new ones because the old ones had a VERY slow leak, they didn't necessarily need to be replaced. So I take it to another mechanic I absolutely trust as he's my dad's friend, he replaces the lines and takes the transmission out and some of the bands have come off so he fixes that all up for me. Now we've spent close to $3000 on this transmission.

My 'ex' mechanic I always paid cash to save tax, because it benefits both of us. The only downside to this is that I don't get a receipt for tax purposes. So it's really a shady/under the table way to do things but everyone around where I live does this. So really, he has no record of ever working on my truck unless he creates a fake invoice.

SO, back to the point, I owe Mechanic #1 $750 for the work he did (while also fucking up my truck more) and I still have not gave him the cash for it because I feel if he's cheeky enough to pull a stunt like that and potentially ruin my transmission, he doesn't deserve the labor money. I did pay him for the parts he put on the truck, because that came out of his wallet/business and I wouldn't make him pay for that. I paid the parts the day I picked up the truck. Mechanic #1 has been my mechanic for a while and also my families so he trusts us to pay him. The problem is, if at the moment I didn't realize the transmission fluid was leaking and kept hauling and driving, I could of really fucked my BRAND NEW rebuilt transmission over.

He called me today claiming he's going to put my name into a collections agency and fuck my credit score up, but what my question is, can he really do that? I don't want my credit score fucked as it is really good. I was going to pay him cash (like he asked) and really there is no record he ever worked on my vehicle. The money isn't the problem in this case, it's more-so he almost fucked me over big time. I can pay him, but I don't feel he deserves labor for almost fucking my transmission over and also half-assing it when he installed it. What should I do?

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
Just tell him if he reports you to collections that you'll report him for tax fraud? (Tne CRA doesnt deal kindly to it!)

However I believe it's just a stunt as he would have to create all the paper work for working on your truck since he doesnt have it then he'd have to pay a collections agency to try and collect from you.
If he was actually trying to get his money the more likely option is small claims court.

Just curious if you've mentioned to him why you're not paying or showed him the damage to say why

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
Just tell him if he reports you to collections that you'll report him for tax fraud? (Tne CRA doesnt deal kindly to it!)

However I believe it's just a stunt as he would have to create all the paper work for working on your truck since he doesnt have it then he'd have to pay a collections agency to try and collect from you.
If he was actually trying to get his money the more likely option is small claims court.

Just curious if you've mentioned to him why you're not paying or showed him the damage to say why
That’s really what I thought too. I don’t think someone could be stupid to risk getting audited by the CRA. I have mentioned it to him but, he wants the other mechanics name that said the transmission wasn’t installed correctly and that the lines were duct taped. I was there when the transmission was pulled out and also when the lines were. I want to give him the name, but at the same time, he’s the type of guy to start a huge drama festival.

Users who are viewing this thread